PDA

View Full Version : Deposit Refund

riteshprk
19-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi

I am the tenant of a studio house. Now I have completed my tenancy agreement. And the agent and landlord will inspect the house and told me that he will refund my deposit after 15 days which is grace period of holding the deposit . Is it the correct procedure Can't I get when i am finishing my tenancy and hand over the house key. How can believe he will return my deposit in 15 days. Although there is nothing to pay as the rent was paid in advance inculding all utility bills. Please advice what I have to do.

Regards
Riteshprk

Paragon
19-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi

I am the tenant of a studio house. Now I have completed my tenancy agreement. And the agent and landlord will inspect the house and told me that he will refund my deposit after 15 days which is grace period of holding the deposit . Is it the correct procedure Can't I get when i am finishing my tenancy and hand over the house key. How can believe he will return my deposit in 15 days. Although there is nothing to pay as the rent was paid in advance inculding all utility bills. Please advice what I have to do.

Regards
Riteshprk

You need to be present when they inspect the studio. Also, good idea to have someone else with you as a witness. They should have contacted you with a date and time. I hope this is the case.

Beeber
19-02-2007, 13:03 PM
Tenants aren't required to be present at the check-out inspection though if you wish you, why not ask.

If the tenant disputes any deductions made from the deposit they can negotiate with the landlord and then if not resolved to their satisfaction, instigate action through the small claims court. Look at the moneyclaim online site offered by HM Court service for details of how this operates.

Letting agents/landlords are required by law to return deposits in reasonable time but there isn't an actual definition for what constitutes 'reasonable' (though some argue that anything past a few weeks and over a month should be considered unreasonable).

The deposit isn't necessarily to cover rent arrears or utility bill arrears but to cover damage caused by the tenant over and above fair wear and tear in the property.

The letting agent/landlord may require a period of time in which to organise repairs or cleaning that has been attributed to the tenant and form the basis of deductions from the deposit or time to release the funds electronically or via a cheque, for example.

Is the tenant in possession of a detailed and dual signed inventory from the initial tenant check in which detailed the condition of the property and its belongings?