PDA

View Full Version : Utility notification when tenant leaves

mike ward
14-02-2007, 14:32 PM
Please Please Please help.
When a tenant moves & you change utilities into their names you have to go through the long winded process of phoning B/Gas Elec Etc. Is there a quicker way ????????? Email Fax etc

samantha1609
14-02-2007, 15:08 PM
I have the fax numbers for most but not all utility suppliers, alternatively have a look at iammoving.com/.co.uk (can't remember which) Hope that helps.

Raggy
14-02-2007, 23:00 PM
Mail merge (word & excel) and the Royal Mail work a treat.

MrWoof
15-02-2007, 00:39 AM
Why do you do the work? Tenant moves in, they take responsibility for utilities.

Ericthelobster
15-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Why do you do the work? Tenant moves in, they take responsibility for utilities.Yes.... but I still make sure I contact the utility co's myself at every change of tenant and provide dates, meter readings and names just to cover my back.

It's perfectly possible for tenants to come and go without even notifying the companies concerned - it's happened to me, and I don't want the risk of being chased for unpaid accounts: I know that shouldn't happen but for the effort of making three phone calls per change of tenancy it's hardly worth it.

Miffy
15-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes.... but I still make sure I contact the utility co's myself at every change of tenant and provide dates, meter readings and names just to cover my back.

It's perfectly possible for tenants to come and go without even notifying the companies concerned - it's happened to me, and I don't want the risk of being chased for unpaid accounts: I know that shouldn't happen but for the effort of making three phone calls per change of tenancy it's hardly worth it.

What Eric said, quoted for truth!

Joannepowell
15-02-2007, 10:24 AM
In my experience you can't even trust the utility companies to get it right even when you do as Eric says. Be sure to keep a record of the telephone calls made and the meter readings provided with the dates they were taken! Also, it's worth asking for the name of the person you spoke to.

I've got a problem to sort at the moment whereby I telephoned a certain electriciy supplier around January 10th when my daughter and her boyfriend split up. The utilities were in his name and he was leaving the property and so my daughter is taking responsibility. As landlady (& mother) I telephoned the supplier with a meter reading taken on January 10th.

My daughter and boyfriend have since got back together (though not living together) and he has received his 'final' bill. The company says he owes them £334! Given it is a prepayment meter they have I can not understand how that figure has materialised!!! I have checked the bill and the reading is HIGHER than the meter reads this week (a month after the actual reading was taken)!!! They have overestimated the bill by in excess of £100!!! The bill also states that the 'final reading' is from 6th December (i phoned with a reading taken on 10th January) so the bill is total rubbish!!!

I know I've got to phone to sort it out but I keep dreading the process because it takes half a day to deal with just trying to get to speak to a human being and then another half day to get through to a human in the right department!

I will be implementing a little black book from now on!!! I intend to keep all my future readings together for ease of reference!

Had this been a defaulting tenant (or even a good tenant that had vacated happily) I would probably never have known about the bill and certainly couldn't do anything about it being corrected!

Regards

J

justaboutsane
15-02-2007, 12:21 PM
We are in battle with British Gas, they are trying to sue us for money we do not owe them! We have told them they need to contact Scottish Power for the money owed (there was a mix up with pre paymenrt cards about 2 years ago) But they will not do that and Scottish Power say they cant refund us to pay British Gas so hey ho we are stuck! We have just let BG get on with it and will be happy to go to court andtell the judge what idiots these two comapnies are being! There is even money owed to us once the mess has been cleared up!

Joannepowell
15-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Gas is a great one! We were referred to a debt collection agency for an N Power gas bill for over £300 for a period when a property was actually under renovation and no gas could possibly have been used. There wasn't even gas central heating in the place! At the time of renovation (when the bill was incurred) there was no central heating, no gas fire and no kitchen (so no gas hob) and yet we used £300 of gas!!! HOW??? :confused:

J

Raggy
15-02-2007, 22:54 PM
Sorry, but to state the obvious....

Write a letter whenever you take responsibility for the bills, or hand over responsibility for the bills to your tenant. Keep a copy. If queried, just refer to your letter.

'phoning is probably easier for the utility companies, but makes it harder for you to prove what you've done.