PDA

View Full Version : New to Letting - Hot Tub Question

ukrv
10-06-2005, 18:26 PM
Hi,

We are thinking of letting our property (due to non-existent sales market).

We are aware of having a Gas Certificate and the (not yet legally required??) portable appliances tests for electrical items.

Our concern is that we have a Hot Tub in the garden and we dont want the hassle of removing it.

On a purely legal point, do we need to do anything to protect ourselves against any issues surrounding the Hot Tub - electrical fault, chemical issues, drowning, etc ?

We did think of getting a portable appliance test done.

If we do that, and have public liability, do you think we would be covered against problems ?

Ideally, we wouldnt want anyone to drown on our property (or electrocute themselves or gas themselves either), but knowing whats best is causing us worry.

Could we print clear instructions for every new tenant ?

Would it be best to state that the HT is not part of the Tenancy Contract and users do so at their own risk ?

Any advice please.

Many Thanks
Paul

Editor
12-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't see how you can exclude the hot tub from the contract as clearly it is one of the facilities provided with the property.
However, there are clearly dangers with it just as there are with many domestic appliances such as cookers etc.
If this were me I would cover myself by:
Having it's presence noted on the agrement with basic safety warnings, particulalry with regard to children.
Providing full operating instructions, which presumably have clear warnings about safe use and chemicals etc.
Having a PAT test along with the other appliances.
Possibly provide a safety warning notice on the device itself, if one is not already present.
Providing you have carried out due diligence in this way, and have documentary evidence to prove it, then you should be in the clear in the event of accidents.

ukrv
17-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

You've stated just what we were thinking re tests, instructions, signs etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Paul