View Full Version : help advise please

05-06-2005, 09:40 AM
After previously falling out with my ex girlfriend and selling the house I have recently bought my own property.

I have been with a girl for a couple of months now and she is moving in and has agreed to help with the household bills ...gas elec ect ....

A guy at my work said I should get some sort of agreement written out as even tho my house is in my name and I pay the mortgadge she could claim half after six month if we fall out ...

But I dont know how she would react if I asked her to sign something :confused:

what advise could any of you give is it true she could claim half the house
help please


05-06-2005, 20:28 PM
Treat her as a lodger, charge her rent (I think you can charge up to £65 per week without incurring tax) and pay the bills yourself. You don't need an agreement and she is not entitled to anything no matter how long she stays.

07-06-2005, 21:02 PM
I've lived with my partner in his house for 5 years now. I have had to sign a legal document from his mortgage provider stating that I have no financial claim on the property. If the mortgage is in your name only then your girlfriend will never have any claim on it unless she has proof that she has significantly contributed. DON'T get married as then she WILL have claim!!!!