PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Inspections to find Cannabis Farms

midlandslandlord
30-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Noting that the police are finding 20 cannabis farms a day now, doubling in 4 years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17888762

And that in some places the rate is well over one per 1000 properties:

But South Yorkshire had 64 farms for every 100,000 people, the highest per capita in the UK, with 851 farms.

(working from 65 mill people, and 25 mill properties)

Is there any good reason / precedent why property inspections cannot be quarterly, rather than the more usual every 6 months, to make it more difficult?

Obviously on top of thorough referencing etc.

The problem is that the best property - well insulated, good heating etc - is best adapted for generating high humidity at low power and low cost by simply diabling ventilation. Pah.

Rgds

ML

bhaal
30-04-2012, 06:50 AM
If a landlord started insisting on quarterly inspections I would change the locks and look for a new landlord (and I've never even smoked weed let alone tried to grow it). It's the job of the police to look for cannabis farms and they seem to be getting good at it, so I'm sure they don't need every landlord to become an unsupervised hobby bobby to help them (and if you do want to help the police becoming a special constable is a far better use of your time and provides a valuable service to the community).

jjlandlord
30-04-2012, 07:42 AM
There's no problem with quarterly inspections, imo. This is already quite a few letting agents proceed.

Of course, here the bottom of the issue is whether keeping cannabis illegal is the best way forward...

leaseholdanswers
30-04-2012, 09:02 AM
It's important that utilities are in the tenants name
otherwise the landlord gets lumped with the very high bill.

Utility companies already monitor jumps on consumption.

With flats it is very important to check top floor flats where access to the loft is easy and they are an easy grow area.

As to inspection frequency that really depends on the tenancy type and an assessment of risk.

These ought to be planned in advance and carried out as conveniently as possible.

theartfullodger
30-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Aye, but apparently most farmers simply bypass the meter for most of the power used so utility co won't see a jump in bill....

Cannabis farms?? Another business risk us Landlords take: tough, SUMO...

midlandslandlord
30-04-2012, 09:22 AM
If a landlord started insisting on quarterly inspections I would change the locks and look for a new landlord (and I've never even smoked weed let alone tried to grow it). It's the job of the police to look for cannabis farms and they seem to be getting good at it, so I'm sure they don't need every landlord to become an unsupervised hobby bobby to help them (and if you do want to help the police becoming a special constable is a far better use of your time and provides a valuable service to the community).

I'm not interested in being an agent or not for the police :-) though I'm very happy to help them.

I am interested in criminal activity which may cause the door to be broken down leaving me liable for a repair.

And I'm interested in whether my property has been gutted behind my back and is going to cost £50k and a year of time to repair.

Slightly more frequent inspections seems to be a reasonable way to deter people looking to start a cannabis farm.

ML

midlandslandlord
30-04-2012, 09:24 AM

That will be less effective with good insulation / airtightness; now it is possible to easily build housing that can be heated merely by body heat and a little cooking.

ML

Brb
30-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Local police officer (friend of a friend) said most discoveries are from helicopters with thermal imagining.

30-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Local police officer (friend of a friend) said most discoveries are from helicopters with thermal imagining.

I wondered why they getting flying the house where my flat is !

Mind you might be something to do there No loft insulation in part of the loft.

:8):

Brb
30-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I wondered why they getting flying the house where my flat is !

Mind you might be something to do there No loft insulation in part of the loft.

:8):

Yes that causes them problems. Along with someone local putting a hot tub in their attic! who does that ?!?!?! lol

Terry_Baker
30-04-2012, 11:22 AM
If you own property near a hospital with a heli pad then that area is a no fly zone for police helicopters with thermal imagining

30-04-2012, 12:44 PM
If you own property near a hospital with a heli pad then that area is a no fly zone for police helicopters with thermal imagining

Cannabis farm will be spring up now by hospital :(devil):

gives a whole new meaning to,treatment on the NHS...

YesAdam
30-04-2012, 12:49 PM
We try to do ours every three months, anyone know how long it takes to grow? Im guessing over three months.

To make a point though, the electricity to the property is a key indicator and it should SHOOT up. Even if you can not enter the property for whatever reason, check the meter reading compared to the last meter reading.

Im not a big fan of Police productivity but "police are finding 20 cannabis farms a day" - they are doing something right. Hurrah!

Interlaken
30-04-2012, 13:08 PM
I inspect my work stuff every 3 months. At the weekend I showed a flat with cellar under (not part of the let). I suspected one of the viewers of being a weed smoker (smell) and alarm bells rang as soon as he expressed interest in the cellar.

I have heard that the electricity companies charter or own helicopters that fly about at night testing with thermal imaging equipment for high heat outputs in residential areas. It is they that advise the police.

30-04-2012, 14:09 PM
We try to do ours every three months, anyone know how long it takes to grow? Im guessing over three months.

To make a point though,the electricity to the property is a key indicator and it should SHOOT up. Even if you can not enter the property for whatever reason, check the meter reading compared to the last meter reading.

Im not a big fan of Police productivity but "police are finding 20 cannabis farms a day" - they are doing something right. Hurrah!

No

I understand that cannabis farms bypass the meter away due to the High cost of electric used,so pointless taking a meter reading...

I have heard that the electricity companies charter or own helicopters that fly about at night testing with thermal imaging equipment for high heat outputs in residential areas. It is they that advise the police.

Now will know why where paying some of the highest gas and electric bills in the EU,for helicopters :(punch):

Mind you,national grid do use helicopters to check pylons and overhead cables.

I don't think heat output from zero loft inulation will be similar to that of a cannabis farm. The amount of power these thing consume to heat at 25- 30 degrees C provide adequate light and constantly moving air is considerable not just a 1 bar fire in a roofspace.

You be amazed at how much heat is loosed through a uninsulated loft/roof,hire a helicopter and theme imaging camera and go and have a look for yourself.....lol

Interlaken
30-04-2012, 14:37 PM
I don't think heat output from zero loft inulation will be similar to that of a cannabis farm. The amount of power these thing consume to heat at 25- 30 degrees C provide adequate light and constantly moving air is considerable not just a 1 bar fire in a roofspace.

YesAdam
30-04-2012, 14:41 PM
Ermmmm,No
I understand that cannabis farms bypass the meter away due to the High cost of electric used,so pointless taking a meter reading...Ermm, Yes. Reading meters is confusing anyway. If their bypassing meter it should be obvious to LL, whom can take it from their.
Im sure it would constitute as a better reason to get local police involved also.
If its not bypassed at/before the meter, then its not a bypass.

On the other hand, ive seen a few meter's bypassed in my time. Mostly down to residential cost not Cannabis Farming. lol

jjlandlord
30-04-2012, 14:42 PM

Indeed, the increased roof temperature due to poor insulation is nothing compared to the loft being actively heated/lit to the required level for horticulture.

30-04-2012, 15:19 PM
Yes that causes them problems. Along with someone local putting a hot tub in their attic! who does that ?!?!?! lol

I hear it very trendy nowadays to have a loft converted into a S&M dungeon and that could be what's giving all that heat off,I couldn't get planning permission for mine :(rofl):

Brb
30-04-2012, 21:29 PM
I hear it very trendy nowadays to have a loft converted into a S&M dungeon and that could be what's giving all that heat off,I couldn't get planning permission for mine :(rofl):

Who needs planning permission for a few hooks ? LOL

mind the gap
30-04-2012, 21:37 PM

I love that typo, Brb!

Sadly, imagining someone's thermals doesn't do a lot for me...

Brb
30-04-2012, 21:56 PM
I love that typo, Brb!

Sadly, imagining someone's thermals doesn't do a lot for me...

hahaha oops!

30-04-2012, 22:00 PM
Who needs planning permission for a few hooks ? LOL

You talk from experience then :o:

Brb
30-04-2012, 22:16 PM
You talk from experience then

Never in a rental.

Tip: Mount hooks in solid wood first :(giggle):