PDA

View Full Version : Lying Ex-landlord

Choo
02-06-2005, 16:55 PM
Hi

I paid deposit - £500 on flat. Stayed from 03/03 to 09/04, now have problems getting £ back. Delay tactics by ex-ll ranging from him being chased by bailifs from County Court to being told by gas & elec company that I owe thousands of pounds. All untrue.

so far received cheque for £200 & £150. Ex-LL keeping £100 & £50 for payment to re-seal tiny holes & repainting 2 doors & frames.

Q1) Do you have any case law that I can print and show him that he cannot keep my money? - He has sold the flat last year!
Q2) Can I argue on the £50?

Thank you very much. :)

Paul_f
02-06-2005, 17:05 PM
Case law won't help you at all, as it's only used as a precedence where there is a substantial claim, and then it doesn't necessarily assist the prosecution's case.

The landlord has to prove that damage occurred and small holes in a wall where you might have hung pictures is unlikely to warrant this. You don't have to prove anything. If the inventory is vague, or non-existent you are on a winner!

Just the threat of a small clamis court summons might concentrate his mind, but if not go for it and have your day in court.