PDA

View Full Version : Telephone line problems and tenant wants me to pay.

fallows
21-12-2011, 15:20 PM
I have a tenant who has lived in my property was 3 years. She tells me she has problems with her phone line and that BT have taken a look and say that an extension has been fitted previously and this is "probably" the problem. They want £150 to investigate further and she wants me to pay this. Can this really be my responsibility??

johnjw
21-12-2011, 15:56 PM
It seems unlikely that this is your responsibility. Presumably the phone has worked satisfactorily for 3 years but has now developed a fault.

However, I know from experience that extensions involving long lengths of wire, can cause problems. I'd try not to get involved in the sense of actually doing the work but to be helpful, I'd suggest disconnecting the extension - assuming its a "plug-in" rather than hard wired.
If that solves the problem for the main phone, but an extension is required; then buy a radio phone with a couple of handsets. These can be used anywhere in the property and no wiring is involved. The cost will be about £40.

Ericthelobster
21-12-2011, 16:21 PM
It seems unlikely that this is your responsibility. Presumably the phone has worked satisfactorily for 3 years but has now developed a fault.Not so sure. Assuming the phone wiring and extension were in place when the tenant viewed the property then I would say that it's the landlord's responsibility to maintain them, in the same way, say, as if electrical wiring was faulty.

That said, it's quite likely that if it's suddenly stopped working like this, then it's a case of 'user error' - ie the tenant's clobbered something with the hoover or poured tea into the phone socket - ie it's tenant's responsibility. You might want to try the tack of agreeing to get BT in to sort it our, but that she must agree to paying if it turns out to be anything caused by her - that might slow her down a bit - and suggest that as an alternative she just disconnects the extension as the previous poster proposed.

Incidentally it's very likely to be pretty straightforward to diagnose where the actual problem is using a process of elimination. If this happened in my home there's no way I'd even consider paying BT £150 to look at it.

Brb
21-12-2011, 19:48 PM
Does it really need BT to look at a telephone extension ?

mariner
22-12-2011, 01:28 AM
No.

How much anyone else can do may depend on type of master socket fitted. If it is the newer BT box NTE5 with consumer faceplate for access then all internal phone lines can be disconnected and replaced by anyone with basic knowledge.
Extensions should be daisy-chained from primary phone, so find the ext cable and disconnect from primary phone leaving primary connected to master socket. Unplugging extensions may not work if fault is in the cabling. Once isolated contact tel service/IP/ provider or BT and ask for a line check. Problem could still be with master tel or internal wiring to it or it may be external line problem to the house from pole. Repairs to ext line to master socket are phone service provider's resp and should be free of charge, any fault internally beyond the master socket will be charged at around £150 inc by BT. Good news is if you have an older style master socket and if the fault is with it OR the external 2 wire line, BT will replace master socket with latest version free of charge. If anyone is still renting their handset from BT, free callout/repair extends to BT owned apparatus.
If you want to know more about tel exts/ADSL wiring, Google is your friend.
I found browsing this site quite informative
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

ram
22-12-2011, 15:16 PM
extension has been fitted previously and this is "probably"
the problem.
They want £150 to investigate further and she wants me to pay this.??

Assume there are 2 sockets. The original one and the extension.
if so, state you do not have to supply a telephone line in any rental,
and if they use the original socket, the problem may "go away"