PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with tenant

lizzi
20-12-2011, 16:13 PM
My tenant is awkward, in that every month is a struggle to get rent. She messes workmen about by not answering the door & will only communicate with me by text, nevering answering the phone.
After Christmas I thought I would give her notice.

Today she sends me a text, after I had chased her for the rent last Friday

"can you send someone to look at the mould around the window frame. I had £200 worth of CDs on the shelf which are now
ruined"

What would you do?

When ever I have been to the house the windows are steamed up with condensation

jta
20-12-2011, 17:10 PM
After Christmas I thought I would give her notice.

Do not let Christmas stand in your way, serve the notice now.

You are going to have to explain the causes of mould on window sills to her. In my experience 99% of cases are caused by the tenant's lifestyle.

boletus
20-12-2011, 17:24 PM
This might help;
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/Mould.pdf

Snorkerz
20-12-2011, 21:52 PM
This may also help: http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=5420

westminster
21-12-2011, 17:58 PM
Do not let Christmas stand in your way, serve the notice now.
Agreed - but bearing in mind that if the notice were to be posted tomorrow, Thursday 22nd December, it arguably wouldn't be deemed served till Wednesday 28th because of the bank holidays, so this should be factored in when calculating the expiry date.

westminster
21-12-2011, 18:06 PM
Today she sends me a text, after I had chased her for the rent last Friday

"can you send someone to look at the mould around the window frame. I had £200 worth of CDs on the shelf which are now
ruined"

What would you do?
1) I'd serve a s.21 notice immediately.
2) I'd send her an email saying that you will come to inspect immediately after Christmas, but that you deny liability for the damage. I'd also include the link Snorkerz posted.

If the windows are constantly steamed up, it's very likely due to T failing to ventilate adequately etc. And unless the mould/damp is due to structural disrepair, you're not liable for the mould damage.

spare
21-12-2011, 23:15 PM
Isn't this her way of getting it on record some sort of disrepair incase you try to get her for non payment of rent. Next she will accuse you of harassment. Just a thought but this is how they think.

westminster
21-12-2011, 23:33 PM
Isn't this her way of getting it on record some sort of disrepair incase you try to get her for non payment of rent. Next she will accuse you of harassment. Just a thought but this is how they think.
Yes, it's quite possible it's the precursor of a future civil claim, but all you can do, as a LL, is approach any reported problem in a spirit of 'reasonableness' and try to ensure that you've complied with all your repairing obligations.