PDA

View Full Version : Deductions from deposit

KennyH
19-12-2011, 14:09 PM
I have a property and the tenant has moved out.

There is a ring mark on a dining room table where a hot pan / plate has been placed and the dining room chairs have been scrached by the tenants cat. Can deductions be made for these as they are more than just wear and tear.

Also the cat was not supposed to be i the flat and this is why the tenant was asked to leave in the 1st place. Therefore i think any damage by the cat can be charged for and not classed as wear and tear - is this correct?

Thanks.

Brb
19-12-2011, 14:22 PM
Damage is damage whether by a permitted pet or not.

Does the signed by T inventory describe items' condition at the beginning of tenancy ?

KennyH
19-12-2011, 14:27 PM
Damage is damage whether by a permitted pet or not.

Does the signed by T inventory describe items' condition at the beginning of tenancy ?

Yes signed and we have photos of initial condition.

Snorkerz
19-12-2011, 14:31 PM
Photos are useful but not conclusive (no way of recording date)
Does the inventory state -
table - no marks on table
chairs - no scratches

Then comes the problem of atributing a value.

How old were the chairs and what quality were they - Ikea or Ercol?
Is the table repairable - how mch would that cost - how old is it and what quality?

KennyH
19-12-2011, 14:43 PM
Photos are useful but not conclusive (no way of recording date)
Does the inventory state -
table - no marks on table
chairs - no scratches

Then comes the problem of atributing a value.

How old were the chairs and what quality were they - Ikea or Ercol?
Is the table repairable - how mch would that cost - how old is it and what quality?

Snorkerz - Thanks.

The photos have the date on them, i've learnt from that in the past.

The table was in good condition, it wasn't in ikea / b and q table but it wasn't expensive either. The chairs had no marks on at all but now have claw marks / puncture marks all over them. Both the table an dchairs are useable but are no where near as in as good a condition from when the tenant moved in. She was only in for 8months so there shoudn't have been major deteriation.

Not sure what to do about setting a value. We won't be replacing the items but i don't think we can allow them to be damaged and not have some charge / penalty levied against the tenant.

Snorkerz
19-12-2011, 14:57 PM
The photos have the date on them, i've learnt from that in the past. Unfortunately, judges know that it is amazing what you can do with Photoshop.

The table was in good condition, it wasn't in ikea / b and q table but it wasn't expensive either. The chairs had no marks on at all but now have claw marks / puncture marks all over them. Both the table an dchairs are useable but are no where near as in as good a condition from when the tenant moved in. She was only in for 8months so there shoudn't have been major deteriation.

Not sure what to do about setting a value. We won't be replacing the items but i don't think we can allow them to be damaged and not have some charge / penalty levied against the tenant.The first stage is negotiation - A basic dining suite is, what, £600? If you start by suggesting you'll be deducting £150 and take it from there. Table may be fixable, if so, you can charge for that, otherwise I'd be happy with £100.

GTEC Property
19-12-2011, 16:02 PM
Take photos and post them up to see how bad the damage is..if the ringmark isnt that severe why bother going through the deduction phase..