View Full Version : Just bought repossesed property, all service drained and turned off, what next??

19-12-2011, 07:13 AM
As title says guys, just in process of buying my first btl property, this was a repo, and all services have been urned off, anything i should be aware of or do tog et them on again, or is it justa case of calling waterboard gas elec providers etc? also can i call which provider i wish providing they cover that area?

Thanks guys

19-12-2011, 08:09 AM
this was a repo, and all services have been urned off, anything i should be aware of or do tog et them on againWith a repo you should be particularly aware of the possibility that the previous owner may have sabotaged the property in some way - people turfed out of their homes can do some very odd things... I leave it to your imagination what sort of stuff could happen at the point when you turn on te gas / water / electric. Unlikely perhaps - but as I say, be aware.

can i call which provider i wish providing they cover that area?No, I think you'll need to sign up with whoever provided gas and electricity previously (even if you wish to give them notice and change immediately to another supplier). That's certainly the case when you take over a working supply, anyway.

Useful site for finding out the current supplier is here (http://referrer.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/current_supplier/14-Norweb/p/sk11%208jy#current_supplier) (click the link "I don't know my current supplier"

19-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Brilliant, very helpful. Lets hope there no nasty suprises!!

19-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I know a house that had tenants in it.
The tenants did a runner at 2am. (they owed the council thousands)
When the council went in to check the property, they found that all the CH / water pipes had been taken out. The electrics were a mess.
It took the builders a couple of months to redo the whole house.

19-12-2011, 11:20 AM
I always get a plumber in to check the boiler and bring it back into service. The system will have been drained down when it was repossessed.
If it is gas you will need a gas safety check before letting it out anyway.

19-12-2011, 11:26 AM
If it's a house i'd get a plumber in to check it over, they may aswell do the gas safety certificate at the same time to keep costs down. If it's an apartment you'll just need to turn the stopcock that's close to the immersion tank and flick the main switch in the fuse box.

19-12-2011, 12:27 PM
so am i right in thinking i just need to call service provider to turn on supply to house first, then get plumber to prime/ fill system from main isolation valve and boiler etc. providing nothing has been broken by the previous owner i am guessing this will be relatively straight forward.

19-12-2011, 13:40 PM
The electric is usually just turned off at the consumer unit (fuse box), just turn it back on, take a reading and inform the supplier/open a new account. Same for gas and water.

19-12-2011, 13:48 PM
ok great, thanks for the reply. didnt know wheather it would involve a service guy call out or not

19-12-2011, 15:22 PM
Water may have been turned off at main internal stopcock, usually under kitchen sink, or at the external stopcock for property. Look for 3inch hinged metal plate in path. Anything outside your property boundary should require engineer as valve is not your property.
I suggest you engage plumber, elec and GasSafe heating engineer to inspect and provide nec Certs for letting asap

19-12-2011, 16:24 PM
yes i will be closer to the time the property will be let out, like i say the sale is currently going through, and i estimate completion (me getting the keys will be circa 10 jan) and hopefully be ready to be let out end january.

19-12-2011, 21:22 PM
from experiance on numerous properties

gas: If the meter is inside the property, generally the meter will be in place and simply turned off. If it is on a card credit system you mayneed to contact the relevent utility, most of the majors can advise who is contracted to supply the previous owner, best not to switch on as sometimes there is open ended pipes.If the meter is outside in some cases the utility provider will of had it removed, again you will need to contact them.
Electrics: more often than not simply switch on, on a number of occasions if it is a key meter the key will be missing to recharge, and possible a huge debit (god knows how this happens), this year we have had £100-1500 debits, call supplying utility they will sort by visiting local key charge shop new key, take key back and it will zero meter back to shop charge. On 99% of properties they will be open ended wires beware.
Water: very seldom turned of in street (worth locating though and seeing it can be turned of in street), generally turned off somewhere in the kitched or cupboard, either stop cock if it works or some shut off.

20-12-2011, 07:10 AM
great thanks for the detailed reply.