PDA

View Full Version : L/Lord charging for the removal of a sky dish we didn't fit

MrsMoo
18-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I thought this would be the best place to ask for advice as I'm a tenent

I had a letter from our letting agents yesterday, saying the landlord had recently viewed the exterior of the property and had not given permission for a sky dish to be fitted, so we need to remove it, and make good the fittment holes in the front bay wall.

The exact wording is: Due to the damage to the render from the fitment holes and nails supporting the cabling surrounding the building your landlord has requested that all this equipment is removed and the fitment holes filled and made good to prevent further damage.

The issue is we never had any such thing done! There is a sky dish at the rear of the property which has been in situ for 3 1/2 years+ as it wa there prior to our occupation of the property, we've never had anything fitted and just connected to the existing Virgin Media phone line and cable. So anything on the exterior was here when we moved in

I've emailed the letting agents back saying this, and asked them to confirm we won't be charged, but what do I do if the L/lord sends us a bill???

How can I prove we've not had anything done to the property :s:

bhaal
18-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Write to the landlord and say what you have told us here - that you were not responsible for fitting the sky dish and any charges will be for his own account or the occupant who fitted it. It is highly unlikely that there would be any clause, even in a (usually extremely landlord-friendly) standard term contract that made you liable for correcting damage that you did not cause. If there were then I would attack it using the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

If the landlord did send you a bill and you didn't pay he would have to take you to court for the money. In such a situation it would not be for you to prove that you did not fit the dish, it would be for the landlord to prove you did.

leaseholdanswers
18-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Surely between the three of you there is an inventory and original letting photos for advertising that show the dish in place....

Ericthelobster
18-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Hopefully once you point out that the dish was there at the outset, that will be the end of the matter; but if not, ultimately Sky will have records of who ordered satellite TV services from that property, and when. You could point out that if the LL asks Sky, he'll be able to find out for himself. (I wouldn't suggest you take on the burden for doing this yourself, as I doubt Sky will be particularly forthcoming with the info!)

Another tack - you say you have cable TV: could you provide proof of bill payments to Virgin going back however far? Even copy of bank statement showing monthly direct debit payment to them (and not to Sky)? It would be pretty unlikely that any tenant would have both satellite and cable services...)