PDA

View Full Version : landlord/agent details

afee
17-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi
i have been looking through the forum and could not find an answer to my question,

i am going to let my house on an assured shorthold tennacy agreement.i wanted to know can i put my agent/family representives details i.e. name and address details on the tennacy agreement.

the reason is that im working away from home and unusall hours and it will be easier for the tennant to contact my agent/family representive to solve issues if any.

i will be using one of the law pack forms you can purchase from smithes.

many thanks in advance

Interlaken
17-12-2011, 14:56 PM
You can give the details of your agent for correspondence and signatures (acting on behalf of the landlord. However the deposit has to be put in the actual landlord's name and the tenant does have to right to know who the landlord is. Working abroard does not excuse you from this.

afee
17-12-2011, 16:28 PM
You can give the details of your agent for correspondence and signatures (acting on behalf of the landlord. However the deposit has to be put in the actual landlord's name and the tenant does have to right to know who the landlord is. Working abroard does not excuse you from this.

thanks
so if i put the agents name and address on the contract,put the deposit in my name as the landlord and inform the tennant my details when requested.
is that be ok?

many thanks

Snorkerz
17-12-2011, 16:35 PM
Section 47/48 of the 1987 Landlord and tenant act requires you to provde an address in England/Wales for the service of notices - your agents address will be fine for this.

The contract must be in your name (but can be signed on your behalf by your agent)

If the tenant requests your contact details in writing from your agent, then your agent must provide it within 21 days (section 1, 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act)

I am not sure where it says the deposit has to be protected in the landlords name - after all, TDS only deal with agents. Perhaps Interlaken could clarify.

spare
17-12-2011, 18:39 PM
In the DPS you add tenants name.

Snorkerz
17-12-2011, 18:50 PM
In the DPS you add tenants name.Well the tenants name is required for all 3 - because it's his money - the question is, does the LANDLORD have to protect the deposit or is it okay for his agent to do so on his behalf.

LesleyAnne
17-12-2011, 21:15 PM
Well the tenants name is required for all 3 - because it's his money - the question is, does the LANDLORD have to protect the deposit or is it okay for his agent to do so on his behalf.

Agents can secure the deposit, but if they go bust, which has been the case with some members here before, the deposit can disappear. As LL is ultimately responsible for the tenant's deposit, and return of it even if the agent folds/does a runner, always better for LL to handle and protect it themselves, so they always have access should the unforeseen happen.

Snorkerz
18-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Agents can secure the deposit, but if they go bust, which has been the case with some members here before, the deposit can disappear. As LL is ultimately responsible for the tenant's deposit, and return of it even if the agent folds/does a runner, always better for LL to handle and protect it themselves, so they always have access should the unforeseen happen.I agree that may be wise - but is it a legal requirement as stated by the (experienced) Interlaken?

LesleyAnne
18-12-2011, 21:19 PM
I agree that may be wise - but is it a legal requirement as stated by the (experienced) Interlaken?

Up until my current tenant moved in last Sept, I let through an agent, and as far as I am aware, he protected the deposit (DPS), and did it in his name - or atleast, I was never given any access passwords or confirmation that anything was in my name, so I would also be interested to know whether it is legal for the LL to be named on the deposit protection account? When that tenancy ended, he dealt with the deposit - in fact it was kept to cover a month of the 2 month's arrears tenant left, but I was never asked to confirm anything with DPS to release it to me.