PDA

View Full Version : Tenants Invalidating our Insurance - Please help

rila77
16-12-2011, 09:22 AM
On the renewal of out Gas Safety Certificate, the engineer found a problem and boiler was sealed and turned off. We are arranging to fix the problem, but we found out that the Tenants have re-instated the heating and turned on the boiler.We are very concerned. The questions are: Where we stand legally in terms of our responsibility for the Tenants safety? If no GSC, but GAS turned off , will this invalidate our Landlord insurance?

jjlandlord
16-12-2011, 09:33 AM
You have to provide adequate heating, so if the boiler has to be stopped pending repairs you should provide alternative sources of heating to the tenant. That would perhaps remove T's reason for turning the boiler back on.
Also, to cover yourself, you should also probably notify the tenant in writing that a fault has been found in the boiler, which should therefore remained turned off and not be used; and that you are organising repairs.

As long as you take reasonable steps to correct the issue quickly and make the installation safe while it's in progress (e.g. by sealing the faulty boiler as was done), I think you should be in the clear.

rila77
16-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Boiler is sealed and heating (electric) provided. Tenant is removing the seal although are fully aware - Official document from the Gas engineer, red tape etc..

jjlandlord
16-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Boiler is sealed and heating (electric) provided. Tenant is removing the seal although are fully aware - Official document from the Gas engineer, red tape etc..

Well, it seems you did all by the book and should be fine wrt. your liability. Only thing further you can do is send a letter to T telling him that for safety reasons he is not under any circumstances to turn the boiler back on until the gas engineer has given a formal green light.

theartfullodger
16-12-2011, 10:17 AM
A offering a few alternatives for heat (& hot water if also a problem..) such as a few oil-filled electric radiators would be wise...

PS This wasn't the old "British Gas: sorry sir I've got to condemn this boiler.." again was it?? (If so get a 2nd opinion..)

rila77
16-12-2011, 12:12 PM
My major concern is if this invalidates our insurance in case of a claim ( we do not have GSC and Boiler is on?!?). As well we are scheduling second opinion. Thanks to all for the prompt replies.

JK0
16-12-2011, 20:58 PM
A offering a few alternatives for heat (& hot water if also a problem..) such as a few oil-filled electric radiators would be wise...

PS This wasn't the old "British Gas: sorry sir I've got to condemn this boiler.." again was it?? (If so get a 2nd opinion..)

Artful, this post of yours made me think because I have British Gas cover for my rental property. I am wondering though if 'elf & safety' legislation may make it impossible for another firm to restore a boiler that someone has condemned?

Can you confirm if this is possible? I hope it is, for obvious reasons.

justaboutsane
17-12-2011, 09:40 AM
If it was BG just be glad they reported.... Homeserve don't bother and then lie about what they did and claim not to have gone out... they "rely" on tenants to advise of the issue... which they don't... and it al goes Pete Tong. Oh and then they refuse to go out to the boiler until it is fixed... UM isn't that what the service contract is for??