PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Short Let

chu
16-12-2011, 00:27 AM
Hi, I am new here. Hope to get some advice.
Just got my first property to let. I am trying to let it without an agent and after waited for a while, a potential tenant appear and ask if I will do a short let for 3 months with the apartment fully furnished. We discussed and agreed some items. And now, he also requests the rent to be fully inclusive for bills, council tax and broadband.
It begins very well but when we talk about when to move in, he wants to move asap. As I said we will have to do some checks, he agrees to show me his ID and his current job contract, suggesting that's enough to prove that he is financially no problem so save me some money for doing credit checks.
Does it sound a bit tricky? What should I look out for when doing short let? Is it a bad idea to do it without an agent?
Thanks

mariner
16-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Yes T sounds dodgy and you should always undertake T credit/ other ref checks.

LesleyAnne
16-12-2011, 09:49 AM
If tenant is being awkward already, I would be very wary of letting for only "3 months". Whatever the tenancy agreement states, there is nothing you can do to begin eviction process until 6 months after it starts, so if tenant decides to be awkward about moving out too, then you are up sh!t creak!

Regardless of how long the initial let, you MUST do proper credti/reference checks, preferably through a vetting agency as this is your first let. Tenant showing you a few choice documents proves nothing about his previous rental history, financial stability or character. As a LL, you are quite within rights to charge the tenant for these checks.

As you are letting the property yourself, do you know enough to do it properly, and more important, legally? Have you got the correct documents in place - EPC, GSC, PAT test for any electrical items you are providing, Landlord insurance, CTL from mortgage, a good legally binding tenancy agreement, inventory, HMRC tax information? Do you know how to secure the tenant's deposit in a government scheme? If the apartment is leasehold, does your lease allow you to let it?

I don't mean to be judgemental, but your first post suggests you may know have enough knowledge of letting to handle this yourself.

islandgirl
16-12-2011, 13:26 PM
though OP knows more than some agents...

fridaypassion
16-12-2011, 14:43 PM
Run a mile from this one!

Minimum checks for me would be

6 months of bank statements
Credit check
Employer check
Personal referee
Current Landlord referee
Cut of the Jib check (he's failed this already!)

theartfullodger
16-12-2011, 14:46 PM
£5 says if you run a full tenant/credit check you find things he never told you...

I'd thank him kindly for his interest & say I'd be in touch, perhaps, if i don't get a better offer...

thesaint
16-12-2011, 14:47 PM
(Dont see exactly how you can provide broadband but not a telephone line, but would be interested to know)

One of the biggest broadband providers in this country. Virgin media.

chu
19-12-2011, 20:56 PM
Regardless of how long the initial let, you MUST do proper credti/reference checks, preferably through a vetting agency as this is your first let. Tenant showing you a few choice documents proves nothing about his previous rental history, financial stability or character. As a LL, you are quite within rights to charge the tenant for these checks.

As you are letting the property yourself, do you know enough to do it properly, and more important, legally? Have you got the correct documents in place - EPC, GSC, PAT test for any electrical items you are providing, Landlord insurance, CTL from mortgage, a good legally binding tenancy agreement, inventory, HMRC tax information? Do you know how to secure the tenant's deposit in a government scheme? If the apartment is leasehold, does your lease allow you to let it?

Thanks for replying LesleyAnne. I did look through a few posts and forums for how to be a landlord, and also I have been a tenant before and still remember some procedures.

But I am really concern about how to do it properly, and of course also necessary checks and terms to protect myself. Could you elaborate a bit more about the credit checks? I understand I can call up the reference and check for the identity and verify information of a tenant. And also what are the documents you refer to? I am now familiar with Landlord insurance and consent to let is fine as well.

Really appreciate your advice. Thanks.

LesleyAnne
19-12-2011, 21:08 PM
There are several credit check agencies who advertise here. I have used one of them in the past. You can usually download their application form and give to the tenant to complete, then use that info to complete the forms online for the agency to check the tenant out for you. You should also ask to see original documents like driving license/passport etc, rather than the tenant providing you with copies (no proof they are genuine!).

Try to find out who tenant's previous landlords are and contact them - not just the one they are leaving to move to you, but the previous one too. The latest landlord may give you a good reference just to get rid of the tenant if they are a pain in the bum!

Please also take note of my previous comment about the 3 month tenancy you want to give, as there is no automatic way for you to end that tenancy without a court order, and this cannot be put in place until 6 months after the start date. Just because tenant signs up for 3 months at the start, they legally do not have to leave on the last day of that 3 months!