PDA

View Full Version : caravan being used in garden as an extra room

suzy2009
12-12-2011, 11:27 AM
My niece is renting out her back bedroom to myself and husband. we are doing this under the rent room scheme. And we have a caravan that we would like to put in her garden for storage. Would we be able to use this during the day as a 'escape'. Just to give us privacy. It will not be plumbed in it will have electrics. My husband will need to use it for study and i would like to have our own space in the evenings.

If we are still sleeping, showering and using her facilities is this allowed or would she need permission?

Ericthelobster
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
If we are still sleeping, showering and using her facilities is this allowed or would she need permission?From who?ooooooooooooooooooo

Snorkerz
12-12-2011, 14:50 PM
I believe planning permission would be required - but the local council will confirm.

MrJohnnyB
12-12-2011, 15:11 PM
I am not sure why I found this post interesting enough to research but a google search turned up this page

http://www.selfbuildtimberframe.com/mobile-home-manufacturers/235-mobile-home-log-cabin-planning-in-gardens-general-do-i-need-planning-details

with reference to an act of Parliament as follows: -

The law regarding planning permission for mobile homes in the garden is stated in the 'Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960'in the 'First Schedule Cases where a Caravan Site Licence is not required' point 1 'Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse' it states...

1. Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse
A site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site if the use is incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated.

suzy2009
13-12-2011, 06:51 AM
From who?ooooooooooooooooooo

Planning permission. Or council.
Thanks mr johnnyb very useful. That's what I thought!