PDA

View Full Version : Ex Husband Wants To Pay Rent

stickman
10-12-2011, 17:11 PM
I've had a divorced mother of 3 enquire about my property to rent. However she has said that her ex husband wants to be on the tenancy agreement, and not her, as he will be paying the rent. He will not be living in the property.

Anyone got any suggestions on how and if this can be done and what documents I use. Is this a normal AST situation?

mariner
10-12-2011, 17:33 PM
No it is not a normal situation at start, and not to be recommended.
Scope for T abuse & LL dificulties.
If ex H wants to pay rent, he pays rent to ex wife, she pays LL as sole T.
LL could sign H as a Guarantor. If either G or T fails ref/credit checks then no T, or just decline now.

Ericthelobster
10-12-2011, 17:55 PM
If ex H wants to pay rent, he pays rent to ex wife, she pays LL as sole T.
LL could sign H as a Guarantor.But presumably ex-H wants to be sure his money is used for rent to keep a roof over his kids' head, which will be why he wants to pay direct?

Why does he need to be on the agreement? Why can't he just be guarantor, and pay the rent each month anyway?

Snorkerz
10-12-2011, 19:22 PM
This would not be an AST and therefore the landlord would not have access to section 8 and section 21 for eviction. That doesn't mean it's impossible to get the tenant out, but that there is plenty of info about how to deal with ASTs.

I'd go with the suggestion wife is tenant and ex-H is her guarantor, as Ericthelobster says, he can send you a cheque each month, so long as you get your money that's all that matters.