PDA

View Full Version : House burgled - agent in no hurry to repair

Georgemc
08-12-2011, 17:46 PM
Our rented home was burgled yesterday and needs 2 windows replaced. We have had emergency boarding put up, but after almost a whole day of waiting around, our agent eventually said he was "about to email" the landlord to arrange proper repairs. From past experience, between the agent and the landlord, things move very slowly, and I'm not happy going back to work with just a bit of wood covering the window. Being self-employed, if I'm not at work I'm not getting paid, so I can't afford to take indefinite periods off work either, so would it be appropriate for me to go ahead and get the necessary work done myself, quickly, and present invoices to the landlord? Will he be obliged to pay them? I'm a bit stuck, since the cost of sitting waiting for them to act will quickly outstrip the cost of what was stolen.

mariner
09-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Whilst LL has duty to maintain integrity of property the LA has covered this by organising emergency boarding up within 24hr. LA may well have to seek LL approval for repair costs >£x and if LL decides to claim on Bldg Ins, this may require Ins assessor to inspect before any repair.
If you decide to undertake repair at own expense, you will need LLs prior written permission. If you intend to withold rent for repair you need to give LL prior notice of intent and a reasonable time to effect repair before you act. LL is not obliged to pay your repair invoices without prior approval.
Is it just glazing or frames that require replacement?

Interlaken
09-12-2011, 07:09 AM
I agree with Mariner that you should be a bit more patient as agent has organised swift temporary repairs.

Boarding up firms in my experience usually do quite a good job with fixings so you should not feel so vulnerable. Surely most upsetting thing is having your belongings stolen and rifled through?

Georgemc
09-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Whilst LL has duty to maintain integrity of property the LA has covered this by organising emergency boarding up within 24hr. LA may well have to seek LL approval for repair costs >£x and if LL decides to claim on Bldg Ins, this may require Ins assessor to inspect before any repair.
If you decide to undertake repair at own expense, you will need LLs prior written permission. If you intend to withold rent for repair you need to give LL prior notice of intent and a reasonable time to effect repair before you act. LL is not obliged to pay your repair invoices without prior approval.
Is it just glazing or frames that require replacement?

We arranged the boarding up ourselves, simply so that we could sleep.

The frames need replacing. The glass itself is intact, they appear to have crowbarred their way in

edit: Realised as soon as I posted, the above doesn't really further the discussion.

I was going on the assumption that boarding-up was a temporary measure, and in fact just advertises the fact that the house can be entered by removing the boarding.

Thanks for replying

Georgemc
09-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I agree with Mariner that you should be a bit more patient as agent has organised swift temporary repairs.

Boarding up firms in my experience usually do quite a good job with fixings so you should not feel so vulnerable. Surely most upsetting thing is having your belongings stolen and rifled through?

Is that right? We do feel vulnerable, but of course we're probably not best-placed to make a rational call on that right now.

Of course the upsetting thing is having our belongings taken and rifled through, but this forum is about residential lettings, not victim counselling!

MrJohnnyB
09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
If I were agent/LL I would want to replace asap to prevent me being held negligent if wood was removed and further goods stolen.

Georgemc
09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
If I were agent/LL I would want to replace asap to prevent me being held negligent if wood was removed and further goods stolen.

Can anybody confirm whether the LL would in fact be liable in this case?

Georgemc
09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Just for anyone interested, just spoke to our contents insurer, who say that by boarding the windows up we have made acceptable effort to secure the property, so if a subsequent break-in occurs before the windows are replaced, we are covered.

theartfullodger
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM
If you haven't already, write (yes, WRITE!!! ) email also if possible but WRITE outlining the problems and requesting their action plan urgently. Send copy to agent, landlord, and keep copy

mariner
09-12-2011, 15:40 PM
If window frames need replacing they will have to be made to measure. If wooden frames then a good joiner could repair by 'letting in' new section. If single glazed window, LL may consider replacing with d/g uPVC window. Usually some good offers around for Jan Feb. LL should be concerned if only to protect int of property from the elements. Tell him you did emergency boarding up as temp measure.
Any house can easily be entered, just break the glass!

Try fitting dummy alarm box outside.