PDA

View Full Version : Second missed inspection - advice please?

Jewel
08-12-2011, 14:37 PM
Hi everyone, so sorry my first post is a negative one.

I have been living in my current rented address for over a year and I love the house. I treat it well (it is after all my home) and carry out minor maintenance (a coat of magnolia, carpet cleaning.....due to messy previous tenant) myself.

My landlord has just messed up the second inspection for the property.

The first one, she sent a letter requesting an inspection, I replied via e-mail, telephone (to landline and mobile) by personal call and text, and via Royal snail mail......no response from landlord to anything.

The second one (most recent) she sent me a letter and I responded by telephone call and then by text (to which she responded) arranging an inspection for today at 1330 hrs. I have sat in waiting for her to arrive, it is now 1530 hrs and......no show. I've phoned her on all numbers I have, and text her and got no response whatsoever.

She has threatened in her letter that any further written correspondence will result in admin charges but what about all the calls and texts I've sent her. She hasn't even had the courtesy to respond to me today regarding the missed appointment.

Now I don't mind a landlord that takes a back seat, I'm a good tenant, rent gets paid on time every month, I respect the properties I've been allowed to live in and I've had really good landlords in the past that have given me space but have been there when needed, but I'm starting to worry about this one.

I've heard bad things from friends who have rented from her in the past and we had a letter returned to sender from a previous tenant who stated "failure in communication" as a reason for leaving the property.

I think I'm doing everything right from my end as a tenant, what do you suggest I do to get her to respond to me and carry out an inspection?

I'm getting concerned that the boiler and electrics aren't being maintained as required.......she's baffling me she really is.

Any suggestions......greatly appreciated.

:(blush):

jjlandlord
08-12-2011, 14:43 PM
She has threatened in her letter that any further written correspondence will result in admin charges

Ignore, or reply that any further missed appointment will result in you charging her an admin charge.

what do you suggest I do to get her to respond to me and carry out an inspection?

Why do you want her to carry out an inspection?
Gas safety is dealt with by the statutory annual check by a professional, and any concern you might have with the electrics should also be dealt with by a professional.
Her inspecting is just for her benefit: Ie. to check that you're not messing the place up.

Jewel
08-12-2011, 14:53 PM
Hi jjlandlord, thanks for the quick reponse. I'm not really bothered if she carries out an inspection or not (I suppose it's more that she's wasting my time by organising and not turning up, or failing to respond), I'm more than confident that I'm a great tenant, so I guess I can cancel that off my list.

As for the gas and electric safety can you suggest who I would contact to arrange these inspections (never had to do it before)? It's a relatively new build on a new estate but the sales office has been less than helpful with any enquiries I've made (maybe because I'm a tenant)?

I'm not a busy body (somewhat concerned that I may have portrayed myself as one) just a responsible human being (who can't get a mortgage because lifes too short to save and I really should've jumped on the boat when I worked for Natwest when I left school......hindsight is a WONDERFUL and yet useless thing).

Thanks again.

mariner
08-12-2011, 15:21 PM
What is the problem with gas & electrics or your concerns?

Jewel
08-12-2011, 15:28 PM
Mariner my lovely,

Should they not have annual inspections? I was always lead to believe by previous landlords that they should be checked annually? If this is not the case then I will be very happy. You lot are lovely. I like it here.

MrJohnnyB
08-12-2011, 15:39 PM
Mariner my lovely,

Should they not have annual inspections? I was always lead to believe by previous landlords that they should be checked annually? If this is not the case then I will be very happy. You lot are lovely. I like it here.

There need not be annual inspections on electrics, however, they need to be maintained in a safe manner.

Gas installations require annual inspections.

Jewel
08-12-2011, 15:45 PM
MrJohnnyB,

That would be the boiler thing in my kitchen then. I have CO2 disc thinggies stuck there, and they're quite happy at the moment (no discolouration on them). This whole landlord "not showing" thing is completely alien to me and therefore probably causing me more concern than it should. In the past I've had a really good landlord/tenant realtionship.......

Sorry to be a pain.

Mrs Mug
08-12-2011, 15:48 PM
Were you given a copy of the "Gas Safety Certificate" when you moved into the property? That will give you the anniversary of when the next gas safety check is due.

mariner
08-12-2011, 17:44 PM
GSC must be carried out by accredited GasSafe engineer, unlikely to be LL