PDA

View Full Version : Please help me!

Conure
07-12-2011, 18:35 PM
Hi all,

I understand that this is primarily for landlords, but I'm a new tenants and really don't know what to do.

I moved into this place on Sunday, and signed all the agreements etc having paid the deposit and first months rent.

Anyway, there are five of us living here, three of us working professionals and two 21 year old's who work at a restaurant nearby.

Every night since I moved in here the 21 years olds have kept me awake until 1/2am with them blasting their tv at high volume, and inviting people in. Last night at about 2am there were approximately 6 people all shouting and slamming doors. My performance at work has suffered this week and it's really getting me down.

The other tenants say that if people speak to them they just deny it, infact they even had a "final warning" from the land lord on Sunday apparently, saying that if it continued they'll have to leave. Thing is, I don't see this happening soon.

As it stands, I Am exhausted and my work is suffering, I moved here to have less of a commute and feel more rested, but am extremely stressed. It says in the contract that tenants must not "annoy or cause nuisance to one another" yet how can this be enforced? In all honestly I want to pack up and go home as this is hell. Apparently when confronted they can become quite aggresive.

Please advise me!! All I want is to be a quiet and respectful tenant that is not disturbed between midnight and 7am on week days. Is there nothing I can do? :(

Snorkerz
07-12-2011, 18:40 PM
Don't worry, we don't bite and are happy to help tenants if we can :)

Can you confirm if you have a contract for just your room, or if you have a joint contract with all the other tenants for the whole house.

Is the house more than 2 floors high? If so, is there a certificate anywhere on display saying the place is a licensed HMO (Home in multiple occupation).

Conure
07-12-2011, 18:45 PM
Hi Snorkerz, thank you very much for your quick reply. The agreement is for my room only and not shared - (though we have a shared kitchen etc) each room is lockable. It is a 2 floor house, and I've just had a look and cannot see a sign related to it being an HMO.

Thanks again

Conure
07-12-2011, 18:53 PM
Also I'd like to add that my land lady has been fantastic and helpful at all times. It is literally just the tenants causing an issue. Thanks again

Snorkerz
07-12-2011, 18:57 PM
Okay, your options are rather limited.

First line of attack is a call to the landlord, preferably when something is happening so you can let him hear for himself - he may not appreciate a call at 11pm, but such is life.

Next is a call to the local councils 'HMO officer'. The property IS a HMO, but it probably doesn't need a license. However, the HMO oficer (and the Environmental Health Officer) have access to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System which was implemented by the 2004 Housing Act. Depending on what they find, they can make the landlord take action.

Unfortunately, due to 'tenants rights' the landlord will not be able to evict the tenant at very short notice - unless the problem tenants go voluntarily you are looking at an absolute minimum of a month, possibly much more.

I hesitate to suggest the final option as it is a gamble for you that you could lose.

If you leave you will be in breach of contract. Obviously you will initially lose your deposit. Your landlord may sue you for any rent you owe, concievably up to the end of whatever term you agreed. You could sue your landlord for the return of your deposit. In either case your argument would be that it was not reasonable for you to stay on the property with such disturbances. Will a judge agree? Maybe, but he may just work on the basis that you should have taken such risks into account when deciding to move into a property shared with other unknown persons. Judges are like the rest of us, individual, I have no idea what your judge would sy on the day.

Conure
07-12-2011, 19:03 PM
Hi Snorkerz,

Thank you very much for the long reply. It only tends to be particularly loud when they have a number of guests over (which granted, has been 2 of 3 days), is there no way to stop that? It looks like I'm going to have to just put up with this for the next 5 months...And I hope I don't lose my job due to under performance through fatigue..

Thank you

Snorkerz
07-12-2011, 19:15 PM
Hi Snorkerz,

Thank you very much for the long reply. It only tends to be particularly loud when they have a number of guests over (which granted, has been 2 of 3 days), is there no way to stop that? It looks like I'm going to have to just put up with this for the next 5 months...And I hope I don't lose my job due to under performance through fatigue..

Thank you

Sadly, my advice is based on replys given to many others in exactly the same situation :(

This is not a sarcastic comment - have you considered silicone ear plugs? Mrs Snorkerz says they keep my snoring out of her ears! This is the brand she used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/QUIET-TIME-Silicone-Earplugs-Pairs/dp/B003TCLXVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323288754&sr=8-2 but there are cheaper brands I'm sure. In the case of that brand, the plugs were too big for her delicate ears so she was able to use one split in two per night, thus doubling the life of a pack!

Conure
07-12-2011, 19:35 PM
I actually bought some foam ones today which don't seem great - are the silicone ones much better? I've also been considering some noise cancelling headphones and some relaxing sounds....Hmmm

Snorkerz
07-12-2011, 19:49 PM
There is definately a difference between foam and silicone - seems strange to make ear plugs from something that's full of holes! Mrs S will not use the foam ones.

If you have a 'Home Bargains' in your area they have been known to sell them for less than £1 a box.