PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Replacement near Sutton

mkirkby
07-12-2011, 16:59 PM
Hi All,

New to the forum so not sure if I'll get any joy, but we have a managed property near Sutton, south London and for the 3rd time in 4 years, the residents have managed to break the washing machine which is now out of warranty...

Hoping to try to cut costs while still providing the right service, we were just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or might have been in the same position. We thought about trying to get a local trusted person to replace the machine with a factory 2nd or recon model. Has anyone gone down that road and where would we find the right people?? I should mention that the property is 200 miles from home so personal visiting is a bit out of the question.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know we could just get a company like Comet to replace it but as mentioned, with finances being tough we are trying to save a bit.

Thanks

theartfullodger
07-12-2011, 17:13 PM
Buy new. Recon looks bad if there are problems - eg fire, enquiry.

You're a Landlord : there are expenses from time2time - you knew that.

However, getting report from repairman about why it broke may be wise.

Mrs Mug
07-12-2011, 17:25 PM
for the 3rd time in 4 years, the residents have managed to break the washing machine which is now out of warranty...

Are you sure that it is broken, and that it not something like a blocked filter?

In my own home, we've got a Hotpoint washing machine it has been designed so that the only way to get to the filter is to take the washing machine apart. We had to search the internet to find out how to do this. My other half is an engineer so he can fix it. But for anybody else, they would have to call out an engineer. I will never buy another Hotpoint.

leaseholdanswers
07-12-2011, 19:37 PM
Being an area I know very well, I know that a decent repair man is going to be £70/£80 call out. It is also a hard water area and that hammers a machine after 4 years.

Depending on the quality of property and tenants and their likely behaviours, it might well be better to simply replace it with a new cheapo comet model for £200, add in a warranty and accept that it needs replacing every 2nd year, as opposed to spending £500 and up.

I always, irrespective of what and where the flat is, have the filter drained and cleaned and a boil wash run by the handyman as part of my between letting and annual "health check" the "pats" visual checks etc.

Armin
07-12-2011, 22:36 PM
I have a Hotpoint Ultimate washer/dryer in my private home. It develops a defect about once a year and is now 5 years old. I agreed to sign up to a repair plan after the first year and I must say it was well worth the money. In your position, I'd see if I can retrospectively sign up to a repair plan for this washing machine (my plan is provided by a company called "Domestic & General, number is 0844 481 0481". Costs £100 a year. An expense you simply pass on by means of a rent increase when the next yearly adjustment comes round.

Brb
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Most ppl don't look after their machines (any brand). Once a month you should run a hot cycle empty (I also add a treatment pack I bought from indesit for limescale).

You've seen the calgon adverts and it's a good idea but I don't like the thought of adding more chemicals to clothing so buy 12 month packs from indesit directly.

I did have one washing machine that suddenly decided it didn't want to spin properly but googling found a way of pressing the machine's buttons in a specific order to reset the motherboard and it fixed it.

Comet do an auction site where you can buy seconds cheap.