PDA

View Full Version : Unfair end of tenancy charges

deshpra
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi
After staying for 2 years I recently moved out of rented flat. A week later I moved out, I happened to see scary email from my letting agent.
When I checked out of the property I made sure the property is clean enough for next tenant to occupy ( professionally cleaned it).
Certain stains and marks are bound to occur with usage and item's age as every thing is not immutable. But the charges what letting agents are asking are unbelievable.

Here I have detailed report.

The property was not professionally cleaned so a further carge applies - 120 pounds
[I got the property professionaally cleaned, so this is incorrect]
Burn marks to work surface,replacement charge - 500 pounds (replacement)
[Few of the marks were there already or very minor, which does not need a full replacement]
Heavy grease marking and discolouration to painted section below extractor hood - 100 pounds
[This is bound to happen in kitchen. I have left it as I got it in the first place]

Damage and marking to dining table -75 pounds
[Table is worth 50 pounds I guess and after 2 year usage I say there are few marks]
General wear, heavier to traffic areas. FW&T. Foot soiling to traffic areas, tide
marks at door thresholds and several spot marks - 400 pounds
[General wear and tear and prefessional carpet cleaning will make it new . I dont this it required replacement]

Grubby marks to window frame - 30 pounds
[general cleaning should remove it]
Dirt to armchair and sofa - 40 pounds
The hallway carpet was left in extremely poor order - 300 pounds
This is due to leakage from some other property. Ihave some email proof for this. I will handle it]
Chips to tile close to Bath -30 pounds
End strip of laminate has come off. - 35 pounds

[Above two are normal wear and tear problems]

Apart from that, they have mentioned some missing item from the property which I am happy to pay for those

According to me: Though it was cleaned, normally it would get dirty as we were using it for 2 years. Most of the above points fall under wear and tear category which can be cleaned and repaired with minimal charges. All carpets what asked for replacement are still not in a condition to be replaced.

One thing I don’t understand. They have already deducted 120 for professional cleaning then they I have added extra charges for other cleaning stuff.(sofa,wall)

Now I am not sure how to approach and tackle agency and ask to wave of all these charges. I want approach them strong legal points

Any input would really be appreciated

Thanks

PaulF
06-12-2011, 14:24 PM
Just note you cannot be made to have the property "professionally cleaned" even if it says so in the tenancy agreement. Your only obligation is to return it to the landlord in a good and clean condition less wear and tear.

Refer to the original inventory for details of marks etc., and if you don't agree with the findings, you can dispute it through the adjudication process with the scheme in which your deposit is held.