PDA

View Full Version : To Evict or Not To Evict - Can Anyone Answer My Question?

nessa
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help.

Got a tenant who has always paid late, but only by about a week. Tenancy started last January. She has always blamed her bank for stalling with the payment, never believed her, but anyhow had she have asked to pay a week late, I would have agreed, so no real issue.

Getting the last 2 months rent however has been a bit painful. The rent due on 12th October was paid on 4th November, she claims housing have 'messed up her payment'. Spoke to her on Friday regarding November's payment, which I have yet to receive, and she is telling me I will receive it before the New Year(!), that housing have not yet sorted the issue.

I feel she is trying to pay(she is a single mum with 2 kids), and she does work part time as she spoke about getting a short term loan to pay the rent. She also said as she has no child care costs over Xmas, and that will help.

I have been back to her to say to get Novembers to me as soon as possible, then perhaps pay December by weekly installments.

I also have been to housing to request direct payment (not told her that yet though).

My question is what should I do next to minimise arrears for both me and her. I don't want to be the nasty landlord, but I can barely afford it myself (already have another tenant in 4 months arrears and trying to get them out). Would going back to her asking for a payment plan be
reasonable. Or do i just go ahead with a s21 to protect myself?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Nessa

rugbyroom
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Nessa

If it was me than I would understand, especially as she is on housing benefit, as many people are struggling to get their benefits sorted out. One of my tenants got paid last week for the first time in 20 weeks, all because he went from unemployed to try to go self employed.

A week late is never a real problem, I personally just like to be informed, but getting payments weekly will generally assist both parties, especially with Xmas happening at the end of the month again.

Regards

Interlaken
05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
If late payment of rent is distressing for you then think about ending tenancy via S21 and get new tenant in a better position to pay full rent on time.

S21 does not make you a nasty landlord but you are not a charity.

I personally find that if you let arrears build up then getting the rent paid becomes harder.