PDA

View Full Version : Family rent for free to me!

Violeve
02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
My family has recently bought a flat and allow to let me stay for free. I will pay for utilities. As I am a full time student and will be the only person staying in the flat, how do I request for council tax waiver when there is no tenancy contract? Also, is my family allowed to let me stay for free with no income?

Ericthelobster
02-12-2011, 14:42 PM
As I am a full time student and will be the only person staying in the flat, how do I request for council tax waiver when there is no tenancy contract? A tenancy agreement is not a prerequisite for paying council tax (eg I don't have one as I own my house). I assume you'll need proof of your student status, though.
is my family allowed to let me stay for free with no income?What do you mean - do you think there should be a law forcing you to pay them rent, or something?!

boletus
03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Many councils in student areas have a list of students on full time courses eligible for c.t exemption. If not, get a letter from your college/university.
As Eric said, you don't need a tenancy agreement.

Brb
03-12-2011, 18:05 PM
oh to be young again eh.

I'm almost jealous LOL

Have fun, learn lots and make the most of it ;) (but do try and eat properly, I vaguely remember instant mash potato and pot-noodle sandwiches haha).

(as the others have said, as full-time student you are CT exempt. Ask your college for a cert to send to council).