PDA

View Full Version : i want to buy my own furniture, landlord refused to take his furniture out

samrussus
01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi, i hope you could help.
i have been renting the property for 4 years. i decided to get my own furniture there so i asked the landlord if he could take his furniture back. he refused to take them due to no storage available.

what are my options? is the landlord obliged to take the furniture or not? i don't want to be harsh in dealing with this as he has been helpful and followed the book in different past occasions.

the cost of hiring storage is £20 / week but don't want to pay £85 / month to store stuff that aren't mine.

thank you, any comment is very much appreciated.

JK0
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
If landlord's furniture is scruffy, why don't you and landlord go shopping for new furniture together. Then you can chose something you are both happy with. (This is what I did with my tenant.) Furniture Village collected my old furniture for £50 when they brought the new stuff.

jrsteeve
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
The landlord has no obligation to remove any furnishings. You've rented the property as furnished (I assume), as such you knew what would be in the property and let it as seen. The landlord may agree to remove some smaller items but larger ones are difficult to move and expensive to store, as you've found. You should have discussed the options with the landlord before taking it upon yourself to buy new furniture.

samrussus
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
thank you guys, it was semi furnished when i started renting. the stuff i'd like to remove are a bed, 2 door closet and 2 small lockers so i am not asking to remove the whole apartement. i'd like to have my own stuff so shopping with landlord is not an option. anyway i just wanted to know legally that if he's obliged to remove them or not, thanks jrsteve you've answered that. another question please, the tenancy agreement is up for renewal soon so can i ask to remove them then?

theartfullodger
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Renewal is not required, it will roll on, month-by-month, unless you agree to end the tenancy (surrender) or by court order... but renewal does give you and him certainty for (say) 6 or 12 months. Alternatively rolling on you would have to give 1-2 months notice, he 2-3 months notice..

You can ask for anything... if, say, you're an excellent tenant (pay on time, no issues, place immaculate, no complaints from neighbours..) and rent is "high" compared to market he might agree to a renewal with some changes (to written inventory presumably in this case).. but equally he might agree to a renewal with, say, rent increase or just refuse any renewal.. (then if he wanted you out he'd have to give notice then go for court possession order.. )

One question - was there an agreed inventory?? If not then it might be hard for him to demand those things back, except you've already acknowledged they are there by asking him to remove them..

Cheers!

samrussus
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi theartfullodger, thanks for that. i've been renewing the tenancy agreement every year, two of these years with rent increase. i am a good tenant never missed a payment, but the rent i pay, to be fair, isn't high comparing to the neighbours' in area.

4 years ago when we did the first inventory (never done since then), there was only the bed there then i asked for the other furniture i mentioned in earlier post, which he got for me and i am grateful he did. like i said before i don't want to damage the relationship with the dude, i just wanted to know my rights on this

thesaint
01-12-2011, 13:27 PM
Come to an agreement about the value, and then see if you can buy the furntiture from him.
Then do what you please with them.

samrussus
01-12-2011, 14:03 PM
hi thesaint, this is a good idea. i'll see what he says. thank you

Snorkerz
01-12-2011, 15:32 PM
Come to an agreement about the value, and then see if you can buy the furntiture from him.
Then do what you please with them.

hi thesaint, this is a good idea. i'll see what he says. thank you

I agree, that sounds like a win-win