PDA

View Full Version : no heating!!!

carolin
24-05-2005, 17:35 PM
dear all! i have a problem here and hope, somebody can help me. for 2 weeks now hour heating is not working. i contacted the landlord and he keeps on sending plumbers in , but apparently the thing is so rotten, that it needs changing. now it was freezing cold the last weeks in england and i ended up having a cold! do i have any legal rights to get at least some of my rent refundet? we were never provided with electric heaters or something... maybe it's worth mentioning, that my rent gets deducted directly from my salary, as i'm a nurse and this flat is hospital accomodation. my hospital forwards the rent to the landlord every month. i asked the HR people already to at least withhold the rent untill the heating is sorted, but they do not want to deal with it...
any advice or help is much appreciated! thanx!

Paul_f
25-05-2005, 08:27 AM
When you say it is "hospital accommodation" do you mean it's provided by the hospital as a condition of your employment. If you are dealing with a social landlord (which the hospital could be) rather than a private landlord things might be a bit different.

If, however, your landlord is just an individual who offers accommodation to nurses and the hospital are not foirmally involved then you can indeed demand compensation for no space heating. Under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 S.11 the landlord has a legal obligation to provide space heating at all times, so if the CH packs up then he must provide you with alternative heating AND pay for any extra power over and above what you would normally use.

Write to your landlord stating that unless it is fixed satisfactorily within 48 hours (he's had long enough) you will call in a gas engineer (if it's gas heating we're talking about) to effect an adequate repair and deduct it from the rent, plus a bit more for compensation. You are going to have to stop deductions from your salary as the hospital should folow your instruction. Why is it deducted as such like this?

Also can you tell us whether you have an AST, it's fixed term, and if an individual is stated as your landlord on it?