This forum should be compulsory reading
for anybody considering becoming a landlord

I let my house out to three lodgers when I went away to Africa
But had to come back because one was selling drugs & doing prostitution
And I never made any money on the deal

One of my friends had a business set up in her flat
& the other had his house wrecked
When they went away for a year

I'm sure there must be easy tenancies, tell me there are?

dazalock
24-05-2005, 11:59 AM
In my opion it's all about checking the tenant before they move in, it might be a bit of a pain, and the idea of having your place tenanted quickly is tempting, but in the long run, it is worth it.

ngadef
24-05-2005, 13:00 PM
Two of my tenants were just fine

But the third one I got from the agency
In a hurry was the one who caused all the problems

In hindsight it would have been better to leave the room empty

Paul_f
24-05-2005, 13:45 PM
You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

You made some silly mistakes which many more will make time & again.

If you're going abroad you MUST get a third party to manage the property for you, preferably an ARLA/NAEA/RICS accredited agent. Paying 10%-15% is worth it because if it goes pear-shaped the agent has to answer to you. You might have saved quite a lot in management fees but lost a lot more.

A friend of mine has a tenant to whom he has recently served a S.21 notice, only to find the "filth" want to raid the property as the tenant's son is allegedly dealing in crack; that means breaking down the door at some unearthly hour, and then repairing it! He wants to sell the property on vacation by the tenant but fears druggies will still be calling to do "business" a long time afterwards!

ngadef
24-05-2005, 14:05 PM
I did get a very experienced housing officer to manage the property but as you say it still wnet pear shaped

Problem being that once the agency had taken their cut I was losing on the house but not as much as I lost in the end

Had you ever thought that if you're tenant is dealing drubs & you don't know about it you could be implicate for aiding & abetting if you go to the police?

I tried to egt him to move threatening to go to the police. Someone pointed out that I might be implicated if I did

ngadef
24-05-2005, 14:07 PM
Everyone told me I should go to an agency

Ironically it was the tenant I got from the agency that caused all the problems