PDA

View Full Version : Information sharing

Wickerman
11-10-2011, 14:22 PM
Hi All,

This is a quickie that I had hoped google could help with, but it hasn't.

I have a landlord who wants a list of all our tenants phone numbers and email addresses for properties we manage for him (around 30 houses). This is so he can arrange repairs with them directly. They are to be given a new email address to contact for repairs, taking us out of the loop.

Can this information be given out? The ICO do not refer to agencies on their websites, but say if landlords should give the tenants the contractors to arrange repairs direct - not vice versa, so doesn't really answer my questions.

The tenants have not given any pre-consent for information to be given out this way.

Sad S
11-10-2011, 15:36 PM
As you are the landlord's agent, you are effectively the same legal entity as the the landlord.

So the landlord having the contact details for tenants does not amount to a "disclosure" as regards Data Protection.

It might be polite to tell all tenants that the landlord may contact them directly to arrange repairs. But landlord should not give tenants' details to contractors without tenants' permission.

mariner
12-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Suggest you review T&Cs of your management contract with LL. As sadS indicates he has a right to any T info you hold on his behalf. You could dodge the bullet if you provide Ts with LLs alt email address for arranging repairs, making it clear that they would be dealing with LL direct.

AardvarkFan
12-10-2011, 05:33 AM
I have a landlord who wants a list of all our tenants phone numbers and email addresses for properties we manage for him (around 30 houses). This is so he can arrange repairs with them directly. They are to be given a new email address to contact for repairs, taking us out of the loop.

If you are providing a management service, you would still charge your fee unless the LL ended his management arrangement with you, which normally requires some notice. The LL is perfectly entitled to do this if he chooses.

If you aren't providing a management service, there is nothing for you to lose.

So what loop, exactly, are you being taken out of?

Wickerman
12-10-2011, 09:08 AM
The loop of being aware of repairs in the houses.

ram
12-10-2011, 11:33 AM
The loop of being aware of repairs in the houses.

Agree to landlords requests, but point out you must be advised of
all the repairs to be done, then those that have been completed,
because you are managing the properties on his behalf, and the first
point of contact for the tenents, are yourselves.

The tenants are obliged and are free to contact yourselves to ask when
are the repairs going to take place, or complain that they have not been done,
and you as managing the properties MUST know whats going on, otherwise
it will put you in a bad light if you know absolutely nothing about the repairs,
cannot answer simple questions, which will then put you in a bad possition
and then put the landlord in a bad light.

The tenants could then say, why am i paying rent to the letting agent when
they don't have a clue about my repairs, "are they not interested" ?

He wont like that, but you are managing the properties, so you have to know
whats going on.

R.a.M.