PDA

View Full Version : Stolen property, unfixed problems and failure to provide promised equipment.

Bajinn
11-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Hello all,

I've been having some problems with my estate agent recently and would appreciate any advice on how to proceed. First, a little context:

Myself and five other flatmates have been with this estate agent for the past academic year and decided to stay in the same flat as we never encountered any problems previously.

We agreed to give up rights to occupy the flat for the first month of the new lease(August 1st-September 1st) while the landlord carried out any repairs and cleaning they deemed necessary in exchange for half price rent over this period. We also previously received a receipt stating that an additional fridge-freezer would be provided when we moved in after the start of the new lease (September 1st). We were told that we could leave some of our property in the flat over the time we were unable to occupy it.

Upon returning to our flat around 3 weeks after we were able to move back in, we found no repairs had been made to the flat, the fridge-freezer we had been promised had not been provided and a number of items we had left in the flat had gone missing including a television set, a free-sat box and an x-box 360 and a number of smaller items, amounting to a few hundred pounds worth of property.

I approached the estate agents with this information and they promised to start the acquisition of the fridge-freezer and to work on a list of repairs we had recorded within a week. One employee also told us that he noticed we had left our now missing property in our flat and realised it was left for next year and also realised that it went missing the day after the cleaning company they had contracted had come in to clean our flat. He did not however, think to contact the cleaning company to try and recover our items, nor tell us that they had gone missing at any point after this.

It has now been a week and while some of the repairs have been acted upon, we have received no word about the fridge-freezer as promised and have had no further information on our stolen property.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed from here, primarily on how to ensure the estate agents honour their promise to provide the fridge-freezer and how we would go about reclaiming the costs of our stolen items. I am confused about whether we should be able to claim these costs from our estate agents as the cleaners were acting as their agents, or whether it is a separate criminal act by the cleaning company. Either way, should I get the police involved? I am less concerned about the unfinished repairs as in my previous experience these are normally resolved quite reliably after informing the estate agents, but in the context of our other problems it is simply another contention we are having at the moment.

Sorry for the rather lengthy post and thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Paul_f
11-10-2011, 18:35 PM
Your issues are with the landlord so I would contact him directly.