PDA

View Full Version : Hot taps stopped working

Direct
10-10-2011, 17:15 PM
My tenant has reported that the two hot taps in the bathroom have stopped running. The kitchen hot tap still works. I suspect it's only an airlock so before I call out a plumber there would be something simple the tenant could try first that might solve the problem. Is that what you would call acting in a tenant-like manner?

theartfullodger
10-10-2011, 18:41 PM
Ah, tenant like manner.. see..
http://www.letlink.co.uk/case-law/disrepair/warren-v-keen-1954.html

In this judgement, Denning LJ stated:
'What does "to use the premises in a tenant-like manner" mean ? ..The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, when necessary and also the windows.He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He must unstop the sink when it is blocked by his waste. In short, he must do those little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do. In addition, he must, of course, not damage the house wilfully or negligently; and he must see that his family and guests do not damage it; and if they do, he must repair it. But apart from such things, if the house falls out of repair owing to fair wear and tear, lapse of time or for any reason not caused by him, then he will not be liable to repair it.'

If you don't know what the "something simple" then is it fair to expect Tenant to do it without prompting???.. Think a sensible tenant might be cautious of playing around with the plumbing...

Odd that both should completely stop running.. have you been round to try them yourself??

Snorkerz
10-10-2011, 19:07 PM
Be aware that you have a legal obligation to keep the supply of hot water maintained. Really it is one of those things that should result in a phone call to your pet plumber within minutes of the tenant reporting the problem to you.

Direct
10-10-2011, 19:23 PM
Fair enough. I was only wondering if it wouldn't be too rude to suggest the tenant try something quick before I call a plumber. I guess it would then. ( artfuldodger actually I would have had an idea of what to suggest). Thank you both.

theartfullodger
10-10-2011, 19:55 PM
Lodger not dodger...

If you do have an idea may I 'umbly suggest you suggest it...

Direct
10-10-2011, 20:33 PM
Sorry theartfullodger - I should have had my glasses on.