PDA

View Full Version : Missing Items

Barrylandlord
07-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm looking for some advise please.
We have had a tenant that has just left our property at two months after we gave her notice.
Within the garden was a secure building we used to store some of our items. It wasen't available for the tenant.
During an inspection, before she left, we noticed the store door had been forced and a dolls house had been moved into the living room.
Now she has left it's missing altogether.
In past experiance is it worth calling the police or just leaving.

Snorkerz
07-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Do you have proof it was there at the strt of the tenancy?
Did the tenancy agreement specifically state that the building was excluded - eg:
123 High Street; or
123 High Street, excluding garden building

If tenenant did not have the use of the building (although I suspect she legally did - another story) then it may have been broken into by persons unknown and the tenant wouldn't have noticed.

Barrylandlord
07-10-2011, 09:05 AM
We don't have photo's of inside the storage from the start.
We do have a photo from the inspection of the dolls house in the sitting room and the damage to the locked door of the building in the garden.
In all honesty I don't think the building was mentioned in the agreement as it was done through an agency however we did verbally tell her when she moved in that it was not available to her and we were using it for storage.

Snorkerz
07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
For future reference, you demise the WHOLE property to the tenant unless it is specifically excluded. So whatever the land registry shows for "123 High Street" is what you let to the tenant if you let "123 High Street" to them.

To be honest, I am not sure you can prove sufficiently to police or anyone else that the dolls house was in the building - and if you can't prove it was there, you can't prove it has gone.

Have you asked the tenants about the door or the dolls house? It may just elicit an embarassed "ah yes, I meant to mention that...."

Barrylandlord
07-10-2011, 09:45 AM
We have asked but she denies all knowledge even though we have a photo of the dolls house in the living room.
There is also an great deal of damage to the house, way more than the bond can cover. We do have photo's of the house before she moved in. Could we take her to small claims court to recover the rest.

Snorkerz
07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
You can certainly sue for the damage.

Do you have any way of proving that the photos relate to the time the tenancy commenced?

Do you have a signed condition report / inventory form the start of the tenancy.

Neither would affect your ability to sue. They could seriously impact your ability to win.