PDA

View Full Version : No hot water

tallulah
05-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Hello,
The boiler in my flat has stopped working - so we have no hot water or heating - the heating is not an issue at the moment but how long, legally, can my landlord leave us without hot water?
Thanks

Snorkerz
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Well he needs to do something quickly - but if it were your own property and you were paying for it, it would take several days to get a qualified plumber (if it's gas he can't use just any old guy). Then there may be parts to order.

So it might be kettles and pans on the hob for a good few days yet.

There is no legal length of time the landlord can leave you without hot water, indeed section 11 of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act says he has to maintain the supply - and right now the suply isn't being maintained (continued) but the courts realise that such things can't be fixed with the click of the fingers.

MrJohnnyB
05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Well he needs to do something quickly - but if it were your own property and you were paying for it, it would take several days to get a qualified plumber (if it's gas he can't use just any old guy). Then there may be parts to order.

So it might be kettles and pans on the hob for a good few days yet.

There is no legal length of time the landlord can leave you without hot water, indeed section 11 of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act says he has to maintain the supply - and right now the suply isn't being maintained (continued) but the courts realise that such things can't be fixed with the click of the fingers.

The whole reasonable man test. I personally think, assuming parts are not required, that anything longer than 5 days to a week is pretty unacceptable.

Snorkerz
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I didn't put a figure on it, but MrJohnnyB's 5-7 days seems about right.