PDA

View Full Version : Photographic evidence

HG ESTATES Ltd
05-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Has anyone had any experience of trying to solve a tenants dispute with the DPS using just photographic evidence?

I am trying to find out if providing the tenants with just a disc and small copies of the photos of the house at the time of the move in will suffice in an attempt to cut down on paperwork as my current text document for the schedule of condition takes a long time to compile and can be upto 10 pages depending on the size of house.

Many thanks in advance to any responses.

Jason

midlandslandlord
05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
The short answer is "not a good idea, unless you are feeling lucky".

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/news/inventories-pictures-not-always-worth-a-thousand-words

ML

ciaraboo
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Agree - don't do it! Get a written report done, add good quality photos (not thumbnails) and protect yourself and your investment property as much as you can.
Also consider getting it done independently. Most of the laws are in favour of the tenant. If it goes to dispute and the mediator finds you did the report they will deem it to be unbiased!

midlandslandlord
05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I have the agent do these, but if I was doing a lot given the need for a 'narrative' type report - dozens of photos with commentary or the other way round - I'd build a template or maybe even an MS Access report.

Are there apps to do this?

ML

Lawcruncher
05-10-2011, 15:02 PM
Most of the laws are in favour of the tenant.

The law favours neither landlord or tenant. It just requires a claimant to prove his case.

westminster
06-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Has anyone had any experience of trying to solve a tenants dispute with the DPS using just photographic evidence?
If you're considering using deposit scheme ADR in future disputes, then forget it.

Read 'A guide to tenancy deposits etc' in this link - it's the official guidance from all three schemes:

http://www.depositprotection.com/document-library/agent-info.aspx

jjlandlord
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
If you're considering using deposit scheme ADR in future disputes, then forget it.

Why?
The guide states that photographic evidence is fine provided its reliability can be reasonably ascertained.

The advice that they should typically be part of the schedule of conditions, with a description, dated, and signed by both parties is quite reasonable and matches what was previously suggested on this forum.

The key here is not that photographic evidence will be overlooked, but rather that a random picture submitted out of context will not be considered 'photographic evidence'.

westminster
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
OP appears to be proposing taking photos without any written condition report. That's why I said it wouldn't be enough to satisfy an adjudicator.