PDA

View Full Version : Mould in our flat (we are landlords) and door damage

bigmike20vt
04-10-2011, 14:13 PM
Hi

My partner and I are renting out our flat via a well known agency.

Now when we lived there, there were never any issues with condensation or mould, so long as we used the extractor in the bathroom and were sensible drying clothes (there was a slight issue if we did not use the extractor and kept windows closed when drying clothes)

Our tenancy agency have had a complaint with photos and the flat now has a rather large mould issue, which has been estimated at £800 + vat to repair (it IS only condensation damage but it has gotten quite bad).

I am a little annoyed at this because...

1) If they had taken sensible precautions I am convinced this would not have happened

2) it says in the tenancy agreement the lodgers are meant to keep on top of any condensation, and besides if they had contacted us sooner it would have been a small issue not a complete mess.

Is there any way we can hold the tenants liable for any of this cost?

A second problem is, last winter they complained that the front door (an expensive fire door was sticking) so the letting agency sent a man round and plained it off.

Now they are complaining that there is a draft, and it is possible the door needs to be replaced. Yes it did stick slightly in very wet weather but that is the nature of a wooden door, it does not take Einstein to figure in hot weather that it would then contract slightly.

please advise on where we stand. They are turning out to be nightmare tenants after already flooding the shop below the flat and they have only been in 18 months :(

Thanks
Mike

1st floor Flat in England

theartfullodger
04-10-2011, 14:32 PM
Hi

Now when we lived there, there were never any issues with condensation or mould, so long as we used the extractor in the bathroom and were sensible drying clothes (there was a slight issue if we did not use the extractor and kept windows closed when drying clothes)

O...............

Did you give (and can you prove you gave...) tenant instructions to act similarly to the way you did - eg in tenancy agreement or in "welcome pack"??

Seems you acted this way when living there aware of the risks of condensation/mould: A tenant should not be expected to look after a property (his property..) as carefully as the owner of the house/flat...particularly if you haven't made it a condition of the tenancy/drawn his attention to the issue...

bigmike20vt
04-10-2011, 14:41 PM
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts. We acted in that way as it was common sense - in our view - if you have a shower use the extractor, and drying clothes inside can lead to condensation so keep an eye on that too, again with the extractor on and the door open of the room that any clothes were in it was always fine.

The tenancy agreement was standard with the letting agency and states to be aware of condensation and take precautions.

Thanks again

M.

theartfullodger
04-10-2011, 14:48 PM
Is there a deposit, was it protected, has "prescribed info" been served on tenant??

Re. draft & firedoor seems the entity at fault is the agency not the tenant: Incidentally, IMHO, anyone planing off (cf plained it off...) a firedoor needs shooting - firedoors fit closely with minimal drafts for a very good reason

How often did you/agency do a property inspection for repairs etc & what reports do you have of those inspections?? What does your agreement with the agency say about how often they will do inspections??

bigmike20vt
04-10-2011, 14:58 PM
Hi

I did wonder that about the door to be honest. I shall ask about the inspections as well as look over the agreement tonight.

thanks

M.

bigmike20vt
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Well the agency got back to us. They said the door should not be too expensive to repair so we have agreed that. They also agreed that, with the contract the tenants have they are responsible for the £800 + vat bill BUT warned IF we insist on it they could well just move out (which means they will lose deposit but would still leave us a few 100 out of pocket).

We have offered to either split the cost of the work 50:50 or allow them to do it themselves and we can pay for materials, but have asked the agency to make it clear that as per their contract they are responsible to keep on top of condensation and should never have let it get this bad and we are doing this as a courtesy.

I think this is fair enough and the agency I think will think so too going on the message they sent. Waht do you guys think? Any tenants out there, would you be satisfied with that?

If not, and they move out then c'est la vie we will take the deposit and once the flat is empty we will do the work ourselves - which may be shooting ourselves in the foot but I really object to paying up to a grand for something which could have been nipped in the bud very easily and cheaply by keeping on top of things and using a bit of common sense.