PDA

View Full Version : Reference checks - On what grounds can they decline.

tonynz
03-10-2011, 15:18 PM
Finally found an ideal place in London, and they are doing a reference check.

I am a bit concerned on what my past landlord (agency) would say and allowed to say in my reference check.

Firstly: My rent has always been paid online and never late.

Secondly: I am a bit concerned about them saying that we didn't allow the agents in for viewings (we did, but they were out of line and asked access everyday, left lights on, shoes not taken off etc despite our warnings)

So are they allowed to decline the offer because the past real estate agent said that we didn't allow them to view the flat for potential buyers?

oaktree
03-10-2011, 15:30 PM
If its a decent agent then they won't decline it on those grounds; most agents don't bare a grudge so if you've been a good tenant you'll probably get a good reference.

Snorkerz
03-10-2011, 15:34 PM
Agreeing with Oaktree - but bear in mind the landlord doesn't have to accept any particular tenant. He can decline your application for any reason other than race, sex and other illegal discrimination.

PaulF
03-10-2011, 16:53 PM
A landlord could decline you if you "smell" as that doesn't come under any category that can be challenged.

Ericthelobster
03-10-2011, 17:33 PM
He can decline your application for any reason other than race, sex and other illegal discrimination.Is there a definitive list available anywhere, out of interest?

I often worry about amount of interest in my properties I get from foreigners, most of whom represent a big risk as far as I'm concerned because (a) I can't credit-check or reference them with anything like the degree of rigour that I can with a home-grown applicant; and (b) because of the possibility they will vanish back to their home country with rent arrears, where I have zero chance of any redress. Hopefully I'm OK to reject them under reason (a) if I need to, without fear of accusations of racism, but it is a worry.

PaulF
03-10-2011, 18:31 PM
Easy - if they have a poor grasp of English then insist they provide an interpreter at their own expense who will then be required to act as guarantor. If a tenant is incapable of understanding the AST then it would be considered a legitimate defence in court to state they could not understand what they were signing, if no steps had been taken to assist them in doing so.

Snorkerz
03-10-2011, 18:32 PM
Eric - on the assumption you'd refuse a tenancy to an English person if you couldn't credit check them then I'd say you're fine.

I think it's only sex, sexual orientation, race, religion and (possibly) age.