PDA

View Full Version : Best way to furnish a property?

lukas
30-09-2011, 20:50 PM
Is furnishing an unfurnished property a common service offered by letting agents? How much would it cost to furnish a two-bedroom house if it was just basic furniture, appliances etc.? Is it a one-off payment or is it normally added to the rent?

mind the gap
30-09-2011, 21:36 PM
Is furnishing an unfurnished property a common service offered by letting agents? How much would it cost to furnish a two-bedroom house if it was just basic furniture, appliances etc.? Is it a one-off payment or is it normally added to the rent?

No, letting agents wouldn't normally offer this service.

Where is the property?

lukas
30-09-2011, 21:40 PM
It's not a specific property. I'm just curious what the common industry practice is. Are there any companies that offer this service?

mind the gap
30-09-2011, 21:54 PM
It's not a specific property. I'm just curious what the common industry practice is. Are there any companies that offer this service?
Don't know of any. I'll do it for you, if you like. Give me a budget and I'll furnish the property for you, arrange delivery and assemble flatpacks. For a two bedroom flat I think you would need to allow :

2 dble beds & mattresses : £300 each
2 wardrobes : £120-£150 each IKEA Aspelund or Argos solid pine
2 chests of drawers : £75 each, ditto
fridge freezer : Comet auction site, £150
washing machine : £180, Beko, B & Q
dining table and chairs : £150, IKEA or Homebase
vacuum cleaner : £75
sofa (get leather) £400 (Harveys are gd or Argos, or even BHS)
coffee table £40
large roll-top waste bin for kitchen Asda Home £10

Do you need carpets and blinds/curtains,too?

Or are you thinking of starting up such a service?

midlandslandlord
30-09-2011, 23:59 PM
MTGs little lot comes to £2055 inc VAT.

There are companies which will deliver complete furniture packages as soon as the next day. There was an article in one of the associations' newsletters recently. For a 2 bed flat they start at perhaps £1300 + VAT or so.

I think I've seen services which will replace and refresh your furniture after a period of time.

Here's one example from a company called Get Fully Furnished, which is £1830+VAT. That's an example, not a recommendation.

Compared to the MTG version you have fabric sofas but two not one, and things like textiles, cutlery, microwave and kettle but no fridge or washing machine.

You also get a site survey, delivery, mood boards (What?), design team advice and total finishing service.

There are plenty of services out there (see the LLZ web page (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/dir/furniture-furnishings.htm)), and I'd say they seem quite good value if you need one.

-----------------
Living Room / Dining Room

2 Fabric Sofas, Dining table, 4 Leather Chairs, Coffee Table, Tv Unit, Art Work

Bedroom 1 & 2

Divan Bed, Luxury Mattress, Headboard, 2 Bedside Tables, Chest Of Drawers, 2 Lamps, Mirror

Kitchen

72 Piece Kitchen Pack, Microwave, Kettle, Toaster, Vacuum, Iron, Ironing Board

ML

lukas
01-10-2011, 17:28 PM
I'd rather move into a property that has been already furnished. Why are there in such low supply?

mind the gap
01-10-2011, 21:16 PM
I'd rather move into a property that has been already furnished. Why are there in such low supply?

Because most people (including LLs) like shopping for stuff. It's a deep rooted primeval nesting instinct.

Snorkerz
01-10-2011, 22:32 PM
Most people build up a collection of furniture that they have chosen over the years - the chances of finding a property that has all the furniture you need, and nothing you don't, are limited.

Although there are some marginally beneficial tax issues, many landlords see the added expense of furnishing a place (and replacing it when tenants trash it) as pointless when furnished properties let for similar rates to unfurnished.

Having said that, furnished properties are available, maybe you are asking the wrong agents or a different selection will be available in a week or two.

midlandslandlord
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM

You probably just need to do your search slightly differently.

I'm just refreshing a property this weekend (while most people are on the beach :-), and that doesn't even have a LL supplied cooker in it.

Last time we had one in the first thing that happened was that T wanted to install their own, so we ended up with a new cooker unused in storage for a couple of years. Now we supply one if asked.

The other factor is that furniture is a pain to administer and look after, for example for the level of detail now required on inventories.

That extra overhead is not often fully reflected in an increased rent.

ML