PDA

View Full Version : Small HMO Questions

midlandslandlord
29-09-2011, 13:31 PM
I'm looking at a project for conversion of a 2 bed + 2 recep smallish semi, and I'd be gratfeul for any comments. It is a full refurb.

There are generous room proportions (13"x13" for 1 bed, lounge and dining room; the other bed is 10"x13", as it lost some space when the 10"x6" bathroom was created). There's a separate kitchen and downstairs WC.

It could be either a single unit, 2 sharers with lounge + dining room, or 3 sharers.

Target market would be young professionals, possibly medics. All the things like local facilities, shopping, parking, pubs etc are fine.

One option that I've never done before would be to go the small-HMO route by giving each room it's own ensuite, by splitting the bathroom. My gut feel says make the ensuites nearly the same - except maybe the downstairs one to be "wheelchairable", and find a way to make the one for the downstairs room returnable to be communal in case that room should want to become a lounge again.

Does anyone have any experience of doing ensuites with no shared bathroom, and are there any gotchas that I need to watch our for?

Thanks for any comments.

ML

Snorkerz
29-09-2011, 13:50 PM
IMHO 13 x 13 is not big enough to incorporate a loo/shower. It could physically be done, but I think the resultant 'bedroom' would be too cramped for the 'higher end' tenants you are hoping to attract with the bathrooms. Maybe, just maybe, the provision of a decent lounge may off-set that.

Please feel free to ignore this, it is just gut feeling, I dont 'do' hmo's.

midlandslandlord
29-09-2011, 17:41 PM
IMHO 13 x 13 is not big enough to incorporate a loo/shower. It could physically be done, but I think the resultant 'bedroom' would be too cramped for the 'higher end' tenants you are hoping to attract with the bathrooms. Maybe, just maybe, the provision of a decent lounge may off-set that.

Please feel free to ignore this, it is just gut feeling, I dont 'do' hmo's.

Delighted to have any reactions; I'm going through the process of thinking about possbilities.

I think I'll post a plan, but if I split the existing bathroom then there's no loss of bedroom space.

ML

Snorkerz
29-09-2011, 18:28 PM
I think I'll post a plan, but if I split the existing bathroom then there's no loss of bedroom space.Maybe not on your upstairs rooms - but downstairs?

midlandslandlord
25-10-2011, 23:23 PM
Well, I just had my offer accepted on this one, so there'll be a lot more questions.

:-)

ML

mariner
26-10-2011, 02:08 AM
My initial reaction, keep current layout for 2 sharers. No HMO probs.
Upgrade bedrooms to study bedrooms as per most hotel rooms with internet connections. Also suitable for a family with 1 or 2 kids, or 1 T with permission for lodger. Price acc to your favoured target market. Also easier to resell.
Depending on location, 'stack em high' may not be best solution
IMO