PDA

View Full Version : Tenants not paying utility bills after moving out

Pobinr
29-09-2011, 13:06 PM
I'm getting a lot of this lately. Favourite trick of E.European tenants.
I wind up having to email a copy of the AST to the utility company or the debt collecting company to prove I'm not liable for the bill.
So from now on no one gets their deposit back unless they give me a forwarding address to post their deposit refund cheque to.
That way I can be fairly certain that any forwarding address they give that I then pass onto the utility company is correct.
Any other LL's getting this happen often ?
Any other precautions you can recommend ?

LesleyAnne
29-09-2011, 13:11 PM
Put the bills/council tax in the tenant's name from the day they move in - standard practice. I've always done it and never had an absconding tenant!

You have no need to seek confirmation of the forwarding address - Utility companies have their own debt management services, who is trace the debtor.

Interlaken
29-09-2011, 13:15 PM
Utility companies are certainly sharpening up a bit lately. I keep getting asked for my date of birth when ringing in to put the utilities back into my name for a void period - totally unnecessary for the landlord and I won't give it. They seem to do a quick 'bad debt' check whilst you are hanging on which is a good idea.

My Polish tenants have just taken a trip back home so the girl can book in for gynae treatment - she complained the NHS were useless to her. Love it!

Pobinr
29-09-2011, 13:18 PM
Put the bills/council tax in the tenant's name from the day they move in - standard practice. I've always done it and never had an absconding tenant!

You have no need to seek confirmation of the forwarding address - Utility companies have their own debt management services, who is trace the debtor.You've been lucky. I find the debt collectors incredibly inefficient.
Right at the outset when the Tenancy starts I email the utility companies & the council with AST start date, T names & meter readings. Then do the same at the end of the tenancy.
Yet sometimes I'm still getting bills from utilities & sometimes from the council, including bailiff threats for unpaid bills after the AST has ended !

When it gets to the stage of demands sent to me I then I email again to the Utility company debt chasers the email address of the T's, phone numbers etc & sometimes forwarding address when I have one.
Then they send a demand to me again with admin fees added. Then I ring them, to say they already have the ex T's details from me.
Then they say I have to email them a copy of the AST to prove I'm not liable for the debt !

Pobinr
29-09-2011, 13:30 PM
My Polish tenants have just taken a trip back home so the girl can book in for gynae treatment - she complained the NHS were useless to her. Love it!My friend is a paediatric intensive care nurse. During the Serb troubles back in the 90's a Kosovan girl came here as an asylum seeker to have her baby on the NHS & everything else courtesy of the UK taxpayer. Then when they provided a translator for her at £180 a go she complained that the translator was a Serb !!!!!!!
This is the kind of reason that I vote UKIP.