PDA

View Full Version : GU13 Lightbulb reliability

midlandslandlord
29-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I've been doing a trial with GU13 Halogen bulbs since they seem to be popping quite a bit.

We have 8 of these in our kitchen for highlight lighting, and since I installed a full new set of bulbs in May, at least 6 have blown. That is, there are currently 6 gone, and I think I have replaced 2 or 3 more when house viewers are due.

Chatting to Electricians, one suggested cause is that because bulbs are specced to work with 220v -> 240v supply voltage, that the UK supply is 240v tends to reduce reliability over their use elsewhere. That sounds credible.

The suggested remedy is to go for long life bulbs with a 5000h lifetime, rather than the 1000h type even if more expensive, to save hassle.

The best I can find are 3000h. Can anyone recommend a source?

Long term the answer will be LED fittings, but they aren't there yet.

(I need to buy 6 for a viewing next week.)

Thanks

ML

Interlaken
29-09-2011, 13:09 PM
Take a look on Amazon. I have had this trouble with GU10's and found some good light giving replacements that are low wattage at a reasonable price.

ram
29-09-2011, 13:52 PM
What ever happend to the good old ( Triphosphor ) 4 foot Fluorescent Tubes ?

They are 15,000 hrs rated, cost half the price, and you only need one !
2 at the most.

Been in these places with these silly lights, and you cant see properly
between the lights, so you have to put more in.
And as said, these "silly" lights just don't last.
They charge you twice as much, you need double / tripple the amount than
with Fluorescent Tubes, and burn out twice as fast.

Not realy a financial cost saving over Fluorescent Tubes, now are they ?

As you can see, I hate these lights.

R.a.M.

mk1fan
29-09-2011, 14:29 PM
Do you mean GU10 spot lights rather than GU13?

I have to say that these GU10 LED replacements are the best I've seen and comparable with 50W GU10 bulbs. Dimable and with a 120 degree beam angle they are, imo, a direct replacement for 'regular' GU10s.

*LINK REMOVED BY REQUEST* - simplyled.co.uk/GU10-Dimmable-High-Power-LED-20-piece-SMD-5050-320-Lumens-50-watts-equiv_AWMR4.aspx?1

Putting together a large order at the moment for all my current projects and getting a significant discount on the rrp.

midlandslandlord
29-09-2011, 18:16 PM
Yes - GU10.

@RAM Part of the intention is to help sell the property. They are far better than Fluorescents for that - especially in a farmhouse kitchen with many things to spotlight.

ML

ram
30-09-2011, 07:30 AM
@RAM Part of the intention is to help sell the property. They are far better than Fluorescents for that - especially in a farmhouse kitchen with many things to spotlight. ML

Oh dear !

They are spot lights, not lights designed to light up the whole kitchen,
living room etc, but that is your choice, but I would never entertain buying
/ renting anything that only has spot lights as it's only source of artificial
light for above reasons.

But, yes, the spotlights do look nice, but they are inferior and I would
not entertain them myself.
I know the topic was not on the merits, but on urgent replacements,
but all our comments may help others choose what is best for illumination,
for their sub-tenants. ( including the following post, although I have enough light not to cast shadows )

R.a.M.

Interlaken
30-09-2011, 07:36 AM
RaM - I find that Fl tubes cast a shadow if one is working at worktop but agree with their longevity. Earlier this week my carpenter broke the diffuser on a 4 footer (thinking I wouldn't notice) - getting a replacement diffuser would be fine if we were in the US or Oz but ones here don't seem to be the same depth and width anymore.

midlandslandlord
30-09-2011, 07:45 AM
@Ram

Absolutely welcome the debate.

From my original post:

"We have 8 of these in our kitchen for *highlight* lighting"

So, yes - there are others, and it is our home.

ML

ram
30-09-2011, 09:36 AM
@Ram

Absolutely welcome the debate.
From my original post:
"We have 8 of these in our kitchen for *highlight* lighting"
So, yes - there are others, and it is our home.
ML

My pleasure.
If we all had the same views ( via logical deduction, luminosity tests
etc ) all our properties would be identical,

and that would be boring !

Ericthelobster
30-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I hate the bloody things - horrible light, hugely uneconomical (we have 6 x 35W in our kitchen for goodness sake: that's far more watts that light the rest of the house put together, using CFL lamps) and ours are always blowing too. Have tried umpteen different brands and projected lifespans; can never find any that last. Powered from a dimmer switch and I wonder whether that's possibly to blame somehow? Though in theory that should help: soft-start rather than flicking straight to maximum power?

Particularly galling when one of the orginal USPs for 12V lighting was that the lamps were supposed to last for absolutely ages.

Personally I have no doubt that in 10 years' time, they'll all be following in the footsteps of hardboard sheets nailed over beautiful original panelled doors in the 60s, and avocado bathroom suites etc...

Ericthelobster
30-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Take a look on Amazon. I have had this trouble with GU10's and found some good light giving replacements that are low wattage at a reasonable price.Hmm.

Except that searching "GU10" on Amazon generates 11,588 hits...

mk1fan
30-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Particularly galling when one of the orginal USPs for 12V lighting was that the lamps were supposed to last for absolutely ages.

GU10s are 240v not 12v. You're thinking of MR16 bulbs.

Ericthelobster
30-09-2011, 14:25 PM
GU10s are 240v not 12v. You're thinking of MR16 bulbs.Ah. But it doesn't sound like GU10s are any better, though? :(-:

midlandslandlord
30-09-2011, 14:39 PM
The future of lightbulbs is clear.

We will all live in ultra insulated houses with no central heating because the heating is integrated with the tungsten bulbs.

ML

Ericthelobster
01-10-2011, 09:18 AM
We will all live in ultra insulated houses with no central heating because the heating is integrated with the tungsten bulbs.

MLHave you seen this?
http://www.heatbulbs.eu/
:)

mind the gap
01-10-2011, 21:32 PM
I would not however want to see a new vogue for fluorescent tubes. They look hideous, and make children behave badly when they are exposed to them for long periods.

ram
01-10-2011, 21:36 PM
and make children behave badly when they are exposed to them for long periods.

You mentioned "children",
What are those ?
and why do we need them ?

mind the gap
01-10-2011, 21:44 PM
You mentioned "children",
What are those ?
and why do we need them ?
Oh, they aren't compulsory, don't worry. But you do tend to find a lot of them in schools, along with fluoresecent light tubes.Not a good combination.

Snorkerz
01-10-2011, 21:46 PM
They look hideous, and make children behave badly when they are exposed to them for long periods.Children behave badly when they are allowed to live for long periods.