PDA

View Full Version : landlord living on rented property in a caravan

Bobafet
28-09-2011, 22:16 PM
What are the legal implications of renting my 2 bedroom house and living in a touring caravan on the said property. Thanks

LesleyAnne
29-09-2011, 07:51 AM
To live permanently in a caravan anywhere (even if you own the land it stands on), you would need planning permission. We have an elderly neighbour and when his wife was dying from cancer a few years ago, his son wanted to bring his caravan here and live beside the house to help them (having already had permission for a granny flat refused). Council would not allow it, even though we are right in the sticks, not overlooked by anyone and the caravan would have been in a 2 acre field!

To make a touring van suitable for permanent residence, you would also need to consider toilet, water and power supply issues.

TBH, if I were renting a property, I wouldn't want my LL living in the garden either!

Snorkerz
29-09-2011, 09:47 AM
In addition to lesleyanne's comments - you can not park the van on the property let to the tenant (they have exclusive possession) so the tenancy agreeent you grant would have to exclude a specific area (where the van is) and, possibly an access route.

Something like "The dwellinghouse known as 123 High Street excluding the areas outlined in red on the attached plan"