PDA

View Full Version : Carpets - where to purchase

jicms
28-09-2011, 21:18 PM
Hi
I need to replace bedroom carpets in my rental flat in central Manchester. I've been quoted £400 for replacement of similar by the letting agent's contractors. I feel I might end up with the cheapest available. As I live in London it's not practical to go up to sort this. Can anyone suggest the best way to go about this e.g. a national carpet chain or good value outlet in Manchester that could maybe send me samples.

mind the gap
28-09-2011, 22:01 PM
Go into your local branch of Carpetright and choose something suitable. (I have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeableabout their products). Then order it from the branch nearest your rental property.

jicms
28-09-2011, 23:40 PM
Have thought of them. They're about the only chain left. There're some great warehouses where I live with very cheap room size remnants but they only fit locally of course.

midlandslandlord
29-09-2011, 00:11 AM
How big is the room?

Is the £400 fitted?

(And hoping that you don't live in Tottenham!).

ML

bbva
29-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I live in Spain and used Carpetright to fit carpets in my flat in London. They can arrange for a fitter as well. I was very pleased with their service and price.

jicms
29-09-2011, 22:14 PM
Yes fitted for two bedrooms 4.4 x 2.9 and 3.3 x 2.9 and no, I live in South London/Kent borders. I imagine I'd have to pay extra for a site visit as it's a bit risky to use plan measurements or ask the tenant.

mind the gap
30-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Have thought of them. They're about the only chain left. There're some great warehouses where I live with very cheap room size remnants but they only fit locally of course.

Yes, so you're not going to be able to benefit from 'remnant' prices, but you can't have everything! They have some very decent standard stock carpets for good prices which you can get the branch nearest your rental property to fit. If you are sure of your measurements, just add a bit on for peace of mind; if not, then the local branch will send someone to measure. I don't even think they charge for that.

midlandslandlord
30-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes fitted for two bedrooms 4.4 x 2.9 and 3.3 x 2.9 and no, I live in South London/Kent borders. I imagine I'd have to pay extra for a site visit as it's a bit risky to use plan measurements or ask the tenant.

You could quote a little oversize which won't add much, but I think that you *may* get an initial 'scoping' visit included as it is two rooms so you are saving them one visit (?).

I'd hope for one from my local supplier, but not a chain.

ML

jicms
06-10-2011, 20:58 PM
I booked a free visit with Carpetright online (they also pay £10 cashback just for the estimate!). They phoned me the same day to discuss and confirm. Very impressed so hope the quote and fitting is of the same standard! The prices have now gone down as they've increased their sale deals.