PDA

View Full Version : Tenants Moving Out Saturday

lilpiggy
28-09-2011, 09:39 AM
My tenants of 1 year are moving out on Saturday having decided not to renew their tenancy.

I have basically inspected the property last week, and found a couple of items to be missing, of which I have advised the tenants to replace.

Also, the walls are very dirty to the extent that really I need to repaint again before I can do viewings.. But I will see if I can wash the walls down, I dont know..(the property was decorated before they moved in. I understand that wear & tear is inevitable.

The property will need a good clean up too.

One of the bedrooms will have to be damp proofed & wallpapered also as they never opened any of the windows until around 2 months ago, I also know that they have hung their wet washing in the property, which I think has half caused this problem.

The windows have never been washed in the last year and I have requested that they be cleaned.

The garden is not in the same state that it was when they moved in either.

Am I within rights to get in a cleaning & gardening company & deduct from deposit ?

I have advised the tenants to let me know when they have fully moved out so that I can inspect the property fully, when it is empty, and that I will give them the deposit back after this has been done, depending on everything being ok... Is there a certain period of time before I give them deposit back ?

This is only my 2nd tenancy, the last one that moved out was absolutely fine & I knew there wouldnt be any problems. These tenants, I dont trust them whatsoever !

Info appreciated, thanks..

Interlaken
28-09-2011, 09:45 AM
It may help to tell the tenants before move out date what you think needs addressing - this way they have a chance to rectify things before exit. If they don't then can you can get cleaners and gardener in as you describe. Deposit is usually refunded in 14 days but what does your AST say on this matter?

Mrs Mug
28-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Is the deposit in an approved deposit scheme?

Brb
28-09-2011, 20:54 PM
Do you have an ingoing inventory describing the property and contents ? signed by T ?

mind the gap
28-09-2011, 22:04 PM
Dirt on walls is not 'fair wear and tear'. Dirt is dirt and can be cleaned off. If the T doesn't clean the walls prior to vacating,take photos of the walls, then pay a cleaner and claim the cost from his deposit.

'Fair wear and tear' is expected deterioration under normal usage given the length of the tenancy and number of occupants.

Paul_f
30-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Posters post a question and then disappear when advice has been given or more information requested and everyone is
left in limbo! Why?

Mrs Mug
30-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Posters post a question and then disappear when advice has been given or more information requested and everyone is left in limbo! Why?

I sometimes wonder if they are trolls, and weren't expecting to have to give specific answers to questions. Or they just don't like the answers they are given.

mind the gap
30-09-2011, 21:40 PM
Posters post a question and then disappear when advice has been given or more information requested and everyone is
left in limbo! Why?

Perhaps they saw your avatar and were worried about being approached for a couple of quid!