PDA

View Full Version : Landlords right to the deposit

keeneway
26-09-2011, 12:21 PM
The nightmare tennants are out,but it is going to take nearly £1600.00 to make good the flat and replace the missing items.The tennants are making no effort to reply or respond to letters from the letting agent,it is now 4 weeks since they left the flat,The deposit is still held by the agent and is needed to help cover the costs involved,but where do we go from here ? if they do not respond how to we make claim for the deposit ?,

jta
26-09-2011, 15:00 PM
You will need to make a single claim, read the scheme's rules to see how to do it.

keeneway
27-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Make a single claim through who ? ,the letting agent holds the deposit and is in the tenancy deposit scheme,so they are saying it will have to go to dispute [as the ex-tennants have not replied] with them how long that takes who knows ?

Snorkerz
27-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Dispute will take no longer than 40 days according to the TDS.

I can find no details of a 'single claim process' for TDS (the DPS one is simple) so I am going to guess that it will go to ADR, and if the tenant does not respond, then it will be found in your favour - a bit like a default judgement in court.

Wickerman
27-09-2011, 14:14 PM
Loo on the TDS website. I know that my deposits make you wait 95 days after the end of the tenancy before repaying to the landlord if the tenant goes out of contact so may be similar for TDS.