PDA

View Full Version : T left bath running flooded downstairs

Fastrack88
26-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Hello reading on this forum for 2 hours now and couldn't find a post like mine and would like some advice. Last night for some reason i decided i wanted a bath and next thing to my knowledge found myself in bed. I quickly ran to the bathroom to my despair to find the bath overflowed and carpet soaked. Went down stairs to kitchen and found floor soaked luckily laminate down stairs and water was floating on top but i am unsure how safe the floor is in the bathroom after this let alone the ceiling.

I am wondering what i should do i am an honest tenant who pays rent on time for the year that we have lived here. What are consequents of this action am i going to be removed or is telling the landlord the right thing to do.

Brb
26-09-2011, 06:20 AM
It's a hard phone call to make but you must tell your landlord. If left it could create problems later on.

Do you have contents insurance ? LL may need to involve their insurance (building).

How long was you in bed before you remembered you was running a bath ? The laminate may not survive.

Mars Mug
26-09-2011, 06:21 AM
The wooden bathroom floorboards and joists will not be damaged. The plasterboard ceiling (assuming it is plasterboard which is most common) will be wet, and electric light fittings may be wet also, did the supply trip? If there’s no visible damage to the ceiling, no sagging or staining, then you could make a small hole to drain away any remaining water, use a screwdriver maybe, this is easily patched up later. The plasterboard should dry out, especially if there are central heating pipes running under the upstairs floor. The laminate floor in the kitchen will need most attention to stop it being damaged. You need to dry that out very quickly.

Fastrack88
26-09-2011, 06:52 AM
its carpet floor in the bathroom that is wet theres 1 main point where the ceiling has cracked and leaked and the other place seems to be drying, floor was dryed as soon as found and we have left windows open luckily the forecast is good for week so the windows will be open all day and night. I just dont want to tell my landlord and loose this place as my finances wouldn't cope and I live and work in this town

ps i dont have contents insurance none of my belongings are damaged and electrics have not tripped and i have no idea how long i was in bed for id say atleast a good 10 litres had come down to the kitchen floor

sparkie
26-09-2011, 07:13 AM
you should vacuum up the water from the carpet asap. use a dehumidifier as well.

if you have a good relationship with your LL and he is reasonable then you should really inform him. Just tell him you have cleaned and dried it up as best you can. this is the right thing to do.

he will almost certainly have buildings insurance for exactly these accidents/circumstances.

at least inform him so he can get it checked out that the water has not damaged the floor joists or flooring. deal with it now rather than later

midlandslandlord
26-09-2011, 07:47 AM
he will almost certainly have buildings insurance for exactly these accidents/circumstances.

[Update - just spotted 10 litre volume, which suggests it is less serious than I had thought. Sparkie's advice sounds about right. In my example below there were 100s of litres.]

I had a burst pipe in a loft last winter which may or may not have been the Tenant's fault - arguably heating had not been run enough to keep the loft warm, but it was marginal.

'Twas expensive - 8k insurance bill in the end - but it was all amicable.

If LL doesn't find out, then they may not be able to claim insurance, so I'd say tell them asap. Also, I'm guessing that if they notice at the end of the Tenancy, you could be liable for the cost - presumably a soaked ceiling counts as a dilapidation ! You may end up paying for non-fixtures which may have been damaged - eg non nailed-down carpets and floors.

Take records - photos etc - of course.

LL insurance may cover more than you think - things like loss of rent (ie not out of pocket while work being done), professional drying out etc as well as repairs. Also, if not repaired - eg dried out - properly it may cause long term damage, never mind that living in the damp could damage your health.

Who knows, they may have been planning to redecorate?

ML