PDA

View Full Version : AST Renewal

SALL
25-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I let out a property (house) on a 6 month AST.

Say it was let on 10th of January.

What would be the start date for a renewal tenancy for the same tenant, if we sign it before the end of the 6 months? Would it be 10th July or 11th July?

And would it make any difference, if the tenancy has becomes periodic and then we decide to sign a new 6 month tenancy?
So say we want to sign a 6 month AST in September, what would the start date needs to be?

Can we just sign a new AST or do we need to do something else?

Snorkerz
25-09-2011, 14:25 PM
Your original AST would run from 10 Jan to 9 July. Therefore the next one (or SPT) would commence on the 10th July.

If the tenancy goes periodic, it is simplest to ensure any future ASTs commence on the 10th, because each SPT 'period' will last for a full month (presuming rent due monthly). There is no legal reason why you have to do this, but if you have a new AST commencing on the 20th then you have the complication of rent for the period 10th to 19th.

The new document would be a standard AST, nothing special needs to be done with it.

SALL
26-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.

Snorkerz
26-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.Worth bearing in mind that you can't force a new AST upon your tenant. If tenant doesn't want to sign up, they a SPT automatically comes into force. Maybe offer some incentive to encourage a 6 month commitment?

SALL
28-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks. They are also happy to sign.