View Full Version : Private tenant loses job, h/ b started now payments stopped may demand h/b repaid!!

jc estates
24-09-2011, 22:14 PM
Hi All my saga continues!!! Private tenant on 6 month AST loses her job after making only two rent payment's. Housing Benefit finally stepped in after loads of phone call's and chasing, paid her arrear's then paid the following months rent (all good or so i thought as we don't rent to DSS but were left no choice even after offering to let her out of her lease!!) Received a letter from the council today to say her payments are suspended pending further investigation's and they may demand we pay her rent money back ( no reason's given ) tried to ring the tenent mobile phone cut off visited the property no reply at the door, posted a letter through the door for her to contact us and noticed loads of mail all over the floor and a pile of opened mail on the first stair as though she's been back opened mail and anything of no interest discarded on the stair, As it stands at the moment her rent is paid up to the 7th October via Council, Her tenancy ends 7th November we've decided not to renew her agreement and want her out (thats if she's even still there) My question's are is it the section 8 i have to send her??, what do i do if she's abandoned the property and i can't get in contact with her and has anyone else experienced the repayment of rent scenario i assume this is either because she's made no contact with the council or been working and claiming!!! Many Thanks Advice Alway's Appreciated........

24-09-2011, 22:39 PM
Get a neighbour to notify you if T returns or 'visits'. Get round there pdq and suggest she offers you writtent notice to vacate by 7th Nov. If Council want some/all of HB returned, appeal. Some success has been reported.
Any Notices would be deemed served on her by First Class post with Cert of Posting to her last known address, ie your property.

jc estates
24-09-2011, 22:44 PM
Thanks Mariner i do have a tenant in the next door flat and will ask her to keep an eye out think i made a mistake on the form's is it a section 21 i have to issue???

25-09-2011, 19:14 PM
What does the tenancy agreement say the penalty for non-payment of rent is?
Do you know the tenants whereabouts (read facebook)?

You should issue a section 21(1)(b)

With regard to s8 - how much is the rent and how much is unpaid? How much will be unpaid if the council have their HB back?

26-09-2011, 18:25 PM
jcestates - Please take a little time to improve your knowledge regarding the use of an apostrophe, and what constitutes the plural of a word, as it grinds dreadfully when reading your post with so many error's (sic).