PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water - Functions, but in a costly manner

gordonlindsay
22-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Hello All,

I have been living in a flat in Manchester since Christmas. There have been continuous issues with our central heating/hot water.

The boiler only works when either both hot water & heating is on at the same time, or in the immersion is on.

Both these routes lead to inflated water/electricity bills of c£150 a month greater than they should be.

I've reported this issues continuously with the Agency since April time and we are still having issues.

My next step is to request the LL's details directly. What are my options in terms of compensation/clawing back some of the excess charges that I've had to face?

Thanks,

Gordon

Interlaken
22-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't think that contacting the landlord directly is likely to help. He/she employs an agent to sort these things.

If you are on a water meter then you only pay for what you use - is this the case?
If you use immersion water heater then you just pay for electric you do not have to have gas on at the same time.
Sounds like your boiler programmer is wrongly wired, or there is operator error. Insist the agent sends out a gas plumber to advise.
If a thermostat is in place on gas or electric system then the water will only heat to that temperature and cut out - I don't see how you can be paying more for hot water than necessary. Is the water extremely hot? If so this would signify a duff thermostat.

sparkie
22-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Hello All,

The boiler only works when either both hot water & heating is on at the same time, or in the immersion is on.

Definitely not right. Not wired up correctly or the you're not using the right settings (timings, water only, water+heating, heating only etc..) on the programmer.

Immersion = Expensive. This should only be used as a backup if the boiler goes down. Agree with above poster, get your agent to get a qualified gas technician/plumber out ASAP.

JK0
22-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Years ago, central heating systems were all like that. All you have to do is turn off the radiator valves in the summer.

(You may find there is one small 'heatsink' radiator that you cannot turn off. This is to prevent the boiler overheating.)