PDA

View Full Version : Bills over summer, whose responsible??

Dips_81
20-09-2011, 20:14 PM
Hi,

Just want to say that it's a good site which has useful information.

My question is,

If a tenant has signed a contract which begins on 01/07/11 but pays half rent during July and August but begins paying full rent in September when they move in, who is responsible for paying the bills between July and August, the tenant or the landlord?

Snorkerz
20-09-2011, 20:18 PM
If the tenancy begins on 1/7/11 and has access from that date then everything - council tax, gas, electric, water rates begins on 1/7/11.

mind the gap
20-09-2011, 20:40 PM
The situations where the tenant pays half rent in July and August usually involve students and the half rent is usually a retainer. There is typically no access, except perhaps for dropping belongings off. If this is the case I cannot see how any utilities could be used (unless perhaps the LL uses those months in which to re-decorate, etc.

Dips_81
20-09-2011, 20:45 PM
Thanks for the reply snokerz. I complete remidal work during the July and August period as students tend to go away for the summer holidays then come back in September where I then do an inventory.

Dips_81
20-09-2011, 20:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking the same... But they do say two Heads are better then one :). Then am i right in thinking that if the landlord does uses elec, gas etc during the retainer period then the landlord is responsible for the bills?

mind the gap
20-09-2011, 20:53 PM
Thanks for the reply snokerz. I complete remidal work during the July and August period as students tend to go away for the summer holidays then come back in September where I then do an inventory.

In that case, you should pay for any electricity and gas used!

Snorkerz
21-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I complete remidal work during the July and August period.Then the tenants don't have exclusive possession, so I would tend to agree with MTG that the bills become your issue.

You are aware that once the tenancy commences (at whatever rent) that the tenants could move in and prevent you having access to the property? You may want to look at how you describe/administer the summer months to ensure that a tenancy does not begin until you are ready.

I would also guess that the property has to be habitable and up to HMO standards once the tenancy begins. I don't do HMOs, but MTG does, so her opinion may be very different to mine :)