PDA

View Full Version : Landlord Withdrawing from Contract

AJ2267
01-09-2011, 20:53 PM
Hi

I am new to all this so would appreciate some advice. I have been renting my house out for 12 months now and with mortgage payments rising and the total dissatisfction with the lettin agent and the attitude of their staff I want to give notice on the contract, the issue is that I would like to keep the tenants but dont know if this is possible as I assume the agents will want to do the inventory check although again I would be reluctant to pay for this and prefer to do it myself anyway.

Can anyone help me out and give me some advice?

Thanks

mind the gap
01-09-2011, 21:07 PM
Yes. Read the contract you signed with your a letting agent and tell us what it says about terminating it and (possibly) about renewal fees (ie what they will charge you if a tenant they found stays on in your property).

AJ2267
01-09-2011, 21:12 PM
I cant actually see any reference to it - I contacted the agent this week and asked what notice periods were and they said I would have to give 2 months notice, also in the agreement it states 1 months rent (I dont know if this is the actual rent or the fee they take)

But I guess I'm unsure if they would allow me to just stay on with tenants or do they expect the tenants to vacate?

Snorkerz
01-09-2011, 21:44 PM
I cant actually see any reference to it - I contacted the agent this week and asked what notice periods were and they said I would have to give 2 months notice, also in the agreement it states 1 months rent (I dont know if this is the actual rent or the fee they take)

But I guess I'm unsure if they would allow me to just stay on with tenants or do they expect the tenants to vacate?If there is nothing in the contract, then you can terminate your contract with them but keep your tenant. No need for new contracts or anything, the contract the tenant signed was between you and the tenant. Sure, the agent may have signed it, but on YOUR behalf.

There is NOTHING the agency can do to make your tenants vacate without your cooperation.

I suspect the fee for release will be the full rent for one month.