PDA

View Full Version : Wear and Tear definitions

sallsie
23-08-2011, 14:00 PM
I have let my property to a family for the last 4 years and they are leaving in September. About 18 months ago I became aware that the children were being allowed to pick wallpaper off the walls and draw on the walls. My letting agent tells me yesterday this is justifiable wear and tear on a family let. I have disputed this as this was our family home and my children never did this. The property was in good order when they moved in and the inventory supports this.

They have also screwed 3 large recycling boxes into the outside house wall, put numerous pictures one about 8 foot long.

What can I claim against the deposit or is it just wear and tear?

jjlandlord
23-08-2011, 14:07 PM
About 18 months ago I became aware that the children were being allowed to pick wallpaper off the walls and draw on the walls. My letting agent tells me yesterday this is justifiable wear and tear on a family let. I have disputed this as this was our family home and my children never did this.

This is not fair wear and tear and you should claim for the damage on the deposit.
The agent works for you so you do not need to "dispute" anything with them, you tell them.
Finally you might want to consider changing agent altogether...

Snorkerz
23-08-2011, 18:11 PM
How long might one expect wallpapered walls to last under fair war and tear before they need re-papering? Would 5 years sound about right? If so, the walls are already 4 years old, so if you have to paper now you have lost 1 years worth out of the expected 5. Therefore you can claim 1/5th of the cost of re-papering from the tenants via either the deposit, negotiation or courts.

If you charged them full redecoration cost you wold be forcing them to return the property in a better condition than when let (less fw&t) which is not allowed.

Paul_f
24-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Here is that definition:

"Natural deterioration from normal usage by a normal person or persons over a given period of time".