PDA

View Full Version : Gates! Gates! Gates! Wrought Iron Gates!

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I think there was a thread recently about the cost of wrought-iron gates. I'd be interested in what others are being charged.

My standard attitude with gates is to put something in that will discourage accidents by causing more damage to anything that hits it than to the gates themselves, this side of a medium sized lorry. But on this one we went wrought-iron.

These are done with 40mm square section and (I think) 16mm round bars, on a lead time of about 6 weeks, and cost about £750+VAT, including fitting, from a local manufacturer-supplier. This is the Midlands.

I'm delighted with the result.

The wall is 5'6" high, that annoying 'sexist' height that allows an average height man to look over, but requires an average height woman to stand on something or jump. OTOH most women can walk past unseen while a man's head looks like one of those jumping notes on a children's music programme from the other side.

The cracked pavers are a lazy but quick plan A that didn't work - foiled by T's transit van. Plan B involves a mortar footing underneath.

Overall

Nice elegant gate stop

ML

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 08:12 AM
2 more pics.

Mars Mug
30-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Nice gates, but they look incredibly easy to steal, don’t even need an angle grinder, just an adjustable spanner.

In that last picture, are you a ghost? Too much Ready-Brek?

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm an ET, with a camera flash too close.

There'll be a bit of welding going on today :-), which should take care of that, and then I might paint the bolt-ends black.

Fortunately there's quite a bit of traffic past the place (entrance road to estate).

Interestingly, I'm told that gate theft has not been a problem locally - even in recent times.

ML

MrJohnnyB
30-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I like the gates. Maybe you could run to a nice sign instead of naff looking 1B painting on the brickwork!!

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Heh. The painted 1B is definitely going.

Never call anything 1B. If necessary jump to 1C or use a name, or bribe the people at 2 or 3, or the Council or Post Office Officer concerned, with cake, gold, money, or if necessary sexual favours, to call it 2A or 3A.

It's a complete sod getting the mail confused with number 18.

A decision before my time, however.

ML

MrJohnnyB
30-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I have that problem at the moment. New property with same number, street name and postal town as another address (only difference is village name!)... Everything gets delivered wrong, the strange thing is its really mixed, often we'll get their post and often they'll get ours (completely diferent post code!)

davidjohnbutton
30-06-2011, 11:23 AM
My initial reaction - nice gates - they will look great on the entrance to a gippo site - 13mm spanner should do it - 2 mins per side - slip onto flat wagon - gone!!!!!

Never say that a particular theft is not rife in a particilar area - 20 years I have lived here- in that time, no cable theft affecting my phone - in this year alone, been cut off 3 times due to cable theft, last occasion was off for fortnight, before it was a week and a week before that. Soon as 2nd theft was repaired, cable was pinched again!!! Never say never!!!!!

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 13:22 PM
Did you see this story about gates stolen *from* a traveller site:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/crime/wrought_iron_gates_stolen_by_thieves_1_3386752

ML

LesleyAnne
30-06-2011, 13:33 PM
I have that problem at the moment. New property with same number, street name and postal town as another address (only difference is village name!)... Everything gets delivered wrong, the strange thing is its really mixed, often we'll get their post and often they'll get ours (completely diferent post code!)

Same here, our home address is virtually the same as another place on other side of the village, except ours starts with "Lower" and theirs is "Higher". One year, they had our heating oil delivered to them, and the driver couldn't find anyone at home so filled their tank anyway. Apparently once its been in a customer's tank, they cannot syphon out due to possible contamination, so they got a free tank of oil!!!! Only wish it happened the other way round, but we are not that lucky :(envy):

midlandslandlord
30-06-2011, 13:50 PM
A few years ago we lost a new mobile phone because a restaurant has the same name as my sister, and the sods signed for it.

ML